cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Virgin media wall socket

thomashtchan10
Tuning in

Hi there,

I just received my quickstart pack today, however it is unsuccessful to install nor set up the broadband. I do not have the wall socket by Virgin Media, so that it is no way to connect with the isolator cable as well as the hub.

I have only got one rectangular shaped white socket (Shown as below) but it seems old and not having any port for the round cable.

Can anyone advise on this issue, or I think that should be set up by an engineer from VM right?

Socket1.jpgSocket2.jpg

Thank you.

6 REPLIES 6

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@thomashtchan10 wrote:

Hi there,

I just received my quickstart pack today, however it is unsuccessful to install nor set up the broadband. I do not have the wall socket by Virgin Media, so that it is no way to connect with the isolator cable as well as the hub.

I have only got one rectangular shaped white socket (Shown as below) but it seems old and not having any port for the round cable.

Can anyone advise on this issue, or I think that should be set up by an engineer from VM right?

Thank you.

What are all the other larger-diameter-looking cables trailing around in the background of the photos?

Sometimes there is no VM wall box, just a trailing cable to connect to.

Have you looked for a plastic VM omnibox outside your home and followed any cables inside?

Hi Goslow,

I am currently living in the apartment so there should be nothing outside by flat I think...
Indeed, I just took further photos which may help illustrating.

The isolator cable came today with the pack, the cable with green label and the white rectangular socket was already there which I moved in.
But I doubt that the green one is an isolator cable...

Should a VM engineer fix this? I have no idea how to book an appointment...

Thanks again.

photo_1_2023-02-21_20-27-13.jpgphoto_2_2023-02-21_20-27-13.jpgphoto_3_2023-02-21_20-27-13.jpgphoto_4_2023-02-21_20-27-13.jpg

@thomashtchan10 wrote:

Hi Goslow,

I am currently living in the apartment so there should be nothing outside by flat I think...
Indeed, I just took further photos which may help illustrating.

The isolator cable came today with the pack, the cable with green label and the white rectangular socket was already there which I moved in.
But I doubt that the green one is an isolator cable...

Should a VM engineer fix this? I have no idea how to book an appointment...

Thanks again.

I am guessing that the 'Cable Simulator 4dB' in your hand in pic 4 (bottom RHS of message #3) is your incoming cable from VM.

Trace this cable and see if it goes outside your home somewhere.

Also in the same photo on the end of the bit of cable clipped to the skirting board is one of these adapters (example below) screwed onto the coax plug

https://www.diy.com/departments/slx-f-type-satellite-cable-coupler/5028422001905_BQ.prd

If you think the cable with the 'Cable Simulator 4dB' on is the incoming cable from VM, unscrew the adapter piece from the cable clipped on the skirting board and screw the adapter into the 'Cable Simulator 4dB'. This should then allow you to attach the connector that came with your 'Quick Start' kit (which should just push fit onto the adapter).

Try that and see if you can connect.

In any event, you may want to tidy up the cables anyway, in which case you should get a VM tech in to fit a proper wall box etc. If you don't have the proper wall boxes, or cables are in the wrong place etc., I believe the tech visit should be free as part of your initial setup but would be chargeable if you wanted to change the wiring later on down the line.

If you don't fancy investigating/trying any of the above, you can call the pre-installation and delivery team on 0800 052 1734 and request a tech visit to sort it all out for you.

I got what you mean of the adapter piece, but when I unscrew it, it seems the size of the adapter is not that compatible with the isolator cable.

Thank you for the tel no. provided, I shall give them a call tomorrow.
If I couldn't get the proper wall socket, the internet is not going to be set up successfully....

Thank you.

Hi there @thomashtchan10 

Thank you so much for your post and welcome to the community forums, it's great to have you here. 

I am so sorry to hear that you have faced these issues with your recent install, and a big thank you to goslow for their help on this so far. 

Have you since been able to arrange an installation with us to get you up and running? 

Thank you.

Hi Ash,

I have solved the problem as VM sent a technician for the installation yesterday, so everything is fine now.

Especially big thanks to the engineer, Mr. Rob (Engineer ID XX346), who is really kind and helpful.
Apart from the set up, he clearly explained the current situation and how it works after successful installation.
Rob serves with brilliant attitude, I do appreciate.

Thank you. 
Thomas