cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New customer experience so far

lemosilveira
Tuning in

Hello everyone.

Hopefully this will get me an answer from team members on here as i'm on the verge of cancelling my new contract.

Small backstory: My landlord used to have virgin media, but switched to sky about a year ago. All the cables remain, it should be just a matter of activating them.

I've ordered my very first VM last week. Exactly last friday. I've received the quickstart package (again, since this place used to have virgin media, no need for any cabling works) this Wednesday (a new Hub 3.0). This is where all the issues started.

The hub i've received does not turn on. To any possible team members reading this: yes i have checked the power socket is working. Yes I've checked the switch is on the "on" position. Yes I've made sure the cable is firmly connected. Yes, I've tried resetting it even though it doesnt turn on, just in case. My landlord hasnt returned the old Hub 3.0 from his previous connection, so I tried the old power cable on the new router. Nothing. Tried the new cable on the old router. It works. Ok so the problem is with the new router not with the power cable. I understood, at least at the time, stuff happens and there's always the possibility of receiving faulty equipment.

Called VM 2 days ago, hoping to get that replacement ASAP. Went through the usual basic "tests" mentioned above, didnt work, got booked an engineer for Monday. Ok that sucks but not too bad. Also asked the person on the phone if i could possibly use that old Hub3.0 until the engineer comes to take a look at the new one, she said "absolutely, not a problem, i'll go ahead and activate the line for you". Amazing, i thought.

Now 2 days later there still isnt any internet. Again, I should mention the broadband cable is plugged in of course and the device is up and running with a solid amber light. Called VM again. In this call, I was hung up on twice (without ever being rude, always understanding of the delay and the wait) maybe even by accident, but come on, twice? Call one last time.

This last call, after being treated like an idiot, I get told im getting a technician and not an engineer, and that he/she wont be bringing a new Hub but simply "help me set up my broadband". I've told them they will not be able to since the Hub doesnt turn on at all. She added a note that "the customer is requesting a new hub" and hopefully the technician will bring one on Monday. Also got told that no, i cannot use the old Hub because this line is linked to new hub specifically, even though the first time i called it was apparently possible.

TL;DR - Router arrived defective and not turning on. After being very clear that it doesn't turn on at all apparently I need a technician to come and confirm it before being able to get a new router...?

A couple of questions for any team member here: Am i able to please request that the technician/engineer bring a new Hub? Even if he/she can open and fix this one, in the event if he cant, so i can finally have internet by then.

And why can't I use the old Hub in the meantime? If the broadband really is linked by serial number to that specific device (which is an odd security feature), then why can't it be changed for now? I mean it clearly can be changed otherwise a broken router would mean it can only be fixed and not replaced.

Apologies for the long text and the bitterness in the text, and thank you already in advance to any suggestions anyone may have

3 REPLIES 3

SteNix2020
Up to speed

Sounds Like you've had a great experience on the phone so far.

A technician/engineer what ever CS want to call them should absolutely have a Hub with them - that said they were running low stock on these whether that's changes I'm not sure but they should still have a few ready for this sort of unfortuante issue.

It is true that 1 hub is activate at a time on the line but not sure why they couldn't activate that old hub for you, maybe as you had a tech booked they didn't find it necessary and was going to leave it to them.

If you wait a day or so VM staff should pick this up and have seen to be quite helpful in the past. 

You could try texting it through on 07533051809 to see if you get a diffrent answer or just wait for the inpending engineer/tech visit.

Yes I'll say it wasn't the greatest so far. Just thought it would be quicker on the phone, but i do know that staff here on the forum is great at helping out. If only I could use the old hub for now, I wouldn't even mind waiting even a couple of weeks for the engineer/replacement. Just want my own Internet lol

Laurie_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi lemosilveira,

Thanks for getting in touch, and a very warm welcome back to the Community Forum!

I'd be happy to look into this for you, I'll just need to confirm a few details via Private Message. Please look out for a purple envelope in the top right corner of your screen.

Kind regards,

Laurie

Laurie_C
Forum Team