Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

New Setup no TV signal

B1031624-BD78-4DF3-B84B-6FF581A06717.jpegHi,

just received my new V6 box having added TV to my broadband package but can’t get a good signal to the back room TV.

i was able to move the box into front room and connect to incoming cable via Y-splitter (other end goes to hub) and setup the TV but it doesn’t work using underfloor cable to back room. I’ve used this cable before some years ago for Virgin TV and have belled it out at less than 1.5ohm resistance so it should work.

tried adding an an inline amplifier but still nothing.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: New Setup no TV signal

You cannot use amplifiers with VM, note the ‘Ant’ marking its for an aerial or antenna. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Yes well that was a desperate attempt. It does work without it either
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

That is a Satellite amplifier which is likely adding noise to the local network as it is not designed for CATV use. It also only amplifies one way. CATV is a two way system & the box must be able to talk back to the network as well as part of the authorisation process. Boxes are now cardless & authorise every time they are switched on.

DIY changes to Virgins network can not only mess up your connections but also anyone else connected to your local cabinet, so I would not be messing with it. Also anything that is not triple screened is prone to letting in signals from DAB radio & Freeview TV. Virgin also uses the very same frequency range for their services so signals leaking in & being amplified again causes noise & service disruption on the network & may explain why you have no service.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Call this in as a fault. A VM technician will attend. If there is a cable fault and/or the signal needs rectification he should be able to get it sorted.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos