cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Neighbour wants to remove VM cable that runs through garden ASAP

J-2021
Tuning in

Hi

My neighbour needs the virgin media cable removed-  it currently runs along the ground of their garden and up to my 1st floor flat. They have given 28 days notice to remove.

How do I get an engineer to come out to remove / rewire? Who do I contact to resolve this?

Many thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @J-2021,

Welcome to our Community Forums and thanks for posting. 

I have consulted with a colleague on this one and the best way forward would be for us to contact the Area Field Manager to see what can be done in this instance. 

I will pop you a PM now so we can request some details and get this escalated for you.

Speak soon 🙂 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@J-2021 wrote:

Hi

My neighbour needs the virgin media cable removed-  it currently runs along the ground of their garden and up to my 1st floor flat. They have given 28 days notice to remove.

How do I get an engineer to come out to remove / rewire? Who do I contact to resolve this?

Many thanks

wait for staff to pick this up they should be able to help - not sure what can be done though if the only route to your flat is over their garden - is there another route on public land or via land that is yours

as to them giving 28 days notice - who to - you i assume as they cannot give notice to VM - you also will get into what can be removed - for it to be on their land in the first place wayleave from them or previous owners should have been sought and given - that being the case the cable will be said to be legally there and VM are likely to refuse to remove or re route it

post some photos so staff have an idea of whats being asked

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Thanks Tony! I’ll wait to hear more from staff

It could’ve been routed via our balcony/terrace and down via the communal entrance, it would avoid them altogether. 

Yep you’ve guessed right we’ve been given the notice lol. The neighbours are a bit aggravated so we’d like to avoid drama as best we can.

thanks for your suggestion to add photos. I’ve included some below with the current wiring in red and the potential solution in green.

77A40D1E-B2A7-42ED-ACCF-641C69720113.jpeg

F646675D-58A5-4A2B-9F94-07692332AABB.jpeg

886B0F11-9DB5-42E5-B41B-F612513EC3E3.jpeg

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

it might cost you £99 to get it done if VM agree but i come back to legality - VM would not - thats could be should not have run it as now without permission - that would have been with a wayleave agreement with whoever owned downstairs at the time - you or a previous owner/tenant of your flat could not give that permission

as to giving you 28 days notice to remove it - that i would suggest is void - you cannot remove it - its not yours to remove - all cable and equipment is owned by VM - the notice [i would suggest] should be served to VM and again we come back full circle to ownership and wayleave permission

there are those on here that argue that the feed from the street is a utility and as such cannot be removed once installed - i dont agree with that but thats an opinion as the other side is 

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @J-2021,

Welcome to our Community Forums and thanks for posting. 

I have consulted with a colleague on this one and the best way forward would be for us to contact the Area Field Manager to see what can be done in this instance. 

I will pop you a PM now so we can request some details and get this escalated for you.

Speak soon 🙂 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

Thanks for providing the details as requested via PM @J-2021

I have referred this to the Area Field Manager now and will follow up with you as soon as they respond 🙂

Thanks

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

Great, thank you @Ayisha_B 🙂

Pleasure 🙂 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team