Menu
SSoleman
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Need local Engineer to route cable (Cambridge)

We have requested the installation of Virgin Media at our new home address twice, and have been refused installation due to issues regarding connecting a cable to the house. We have contacted Virgin Media multiple times and requested to speak to the local engineer so we can resolve the issue and install your service, however we have never been able to speak to anyone about it. We have also said we are happy to pay for any construction work should that be an issue.

Regarding the property, it is located in a cul-de-sac with private road access, it should be known that we are the owners of this private road so can approve any work should that need to occur. All neighbours within the cul-de-sac all have Virgin Media, except ours, because at the time the old lady living there did not want the service. Approximately 2-3years ago, a channel was dug into our private road to make way for these cables. So cables do exist in the neighbourhood and cul-de-sac, with both our neighbours having Virgin Media.

If we are able to speak to an engineer and discuss how we can route a cable to our house, it would be greatly appreciated. All neighbours in the area are happy to support us, should we need to outstretch any cables to our home. Alternatively, as mentioned before, we are happy to pay for any work should that need to commence.

Unfortunately, it appears that a report on our house states a cable cannot be routed and this dated back to 2015 and 2016. However, as a cable has been routed in the past few years into the cul-de-sac, it must be possible to allow us to achieve the same service.

0 Kudos
Z92
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Need local Engineer to route cable (Cambridge)

How long is it from the nearest cabinet to the front of your house? 

Virgin cabling has distance limits, if your house has it's own road, it might be that the distance is too far, but the distance to your neighbours is shorter. The further the cable has to travel the less signal you receive at the end, if the signal is too small you will only have a constant intermittent service which means a repeater needs to be installed, which means it could cost thousands and therefore be out of budget. 

0 Kudos
SSoleman
Tuning in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks so much for your reply. Our house is about 12 metres or so from the main road. I can appreciate the cable distancing limits, however it seems like my neighbours cables go a much further distance (goes from the private road, to my neighbour at No. 69 and travels across 2 houses to get to them at No. 65 (next door to me). And originally when they offered to extend it to No. 63 in the cul-de-sac (my house), the previous old lady living there refused, so there must have been a way if they initially offered it? 

I've illustrated a picture so you can see and perhaps advise the best way to do this? I’ve put where the cables are going in Blue and the start/end points in Yellow. Any advice would be much appreciated. Just to note there is a tree on the corner of the private road that belongs to No. 61, which may explain why they can’t take it straight underneath. Although in my old house, the cable was above the ground, so I’m a bit confused as to when it can and can’t be above the ground. Thanks in advance for your help, feel free to draw on the picture if that’s easier. 

41297C51-8946-4EE0-A9F4-57A733039A81.jpeg

0 Kudos
SSoleman
Tuning in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Please can someone help me??? 😞 I’ve posted a picture to help others understand the location issue, I would really appreciate a response 

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

it may well be down to cost. When it was offered in the bast they would have had the teams there digging up the road so the cost to include you would be much lower than having to do it alone.

If the house next to you allows it you may be able to split from their box and run across to your house. hat would mean they would always have to keep the box and cabling though. I don't see the amount of work to gif the road for one new home to be worth the cost financially as it can cost in the £10,000
0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Superstar
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi you are on a public forum, which is not an immediate link with a virgin person, virgin will respond as the threads are answered in rotation so bumping or multiple posts will put you back in the loop, there are lots of posts like yours and the problem is that this kind of work is carried out by sub contractors so even when work has been passed virgin themselves don't know until the work starts and a line is on the threshold of your property, then the second engineer, virgins own install in the property, this subject to virgin deeming it economically viable, I know you have offered to finance this but the amount will be quite high, so I don't think they will contemplate you paying for it. Regards Micky
0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

theres a couple of people on here that may be able to help but they are not dedicated forum staff so will look as and when they can i think

i agree with ap - your best bet is to talk to your neighbour at 65? and see if they would allow a connection from their external box - it would not impact their install and looking at your photo would be a fairy easy run although it would have to go the full width of their frontage - you make comment that you are prepared to finance an install - if the cable run you show is correct i think your only chance is to get 65 involved

Tony
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

if you own the road maybe you could arrange a green tube to VM build specs to be installed from you to the closest Tee point and then might be able to pull though that to you (no guarantees though)

apcyberax_0-1612014791640.png

VM-Jon
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I can take a look at this for you, please private message me the full address.
The architecture in Cambridge is slightly different to most of the country so that’s likely to be the issue

Jon

Here to help! I'm an install manager helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

SSoleman
Tuning in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Ap! Do you know the best way I can discuss these options with a VM engineer? I try calling the main VM number and get passed around until it eventually goes to the construction/building team but it always disconnects. It happens everytime and I just keep wasting 3 hrs each time. Do you know an easier way? 🙏🙏

0 Kudos