cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help regarding New Hub coming-Home Phone Switchover

MRM3
Tuning in

1.Received a letter from Virgin stating I needed a new Hub to connect my home phone to.
This is all new to me, so I am seeking advice.
Does someone come and do it, or is it just a case of plugging it in if it's delivered?

And setting it up?

2. Also, sorry to be ignorant lol but....
Will it be a new name which means I will have to change it on my Phones, Tablets, 2 Echo dots, smart plugs, Wi-fi Extender, Chromecast, Firestick, TV and Computer?

Thought it would be a simple job but now am worried.

19 REPLIES 19

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @MRM3 

When you receive your new hub it will have a different SSID and password to your current hub. 

You can though log into the hub settings and change them to match your current SSID and password.

Details of how to do that are shown on this page

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/broadband/change-wifi-name-and-password 

It should just be a case of plugging in the new hub to replace your existing hub, then plugging the phone adapter into the phone socket on the new hub.

The info below is from  the following page

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/landline/switchover 

On the day of your switchover, unplug the phone cable of your main phone (or base station if it’s a cordless phone), from the wall socket. If you have any other devices connected to this socket, or you use internal phone sockets around your home, please give us a call.

2. Grab the adapter we provided and plug it in to the top grey port, Port 1, on the back of our Hub.

3. Now, plug the end of the telephone cable you unplugged from the wall socket in to the adapter.

4. Wait a couple of minutes for a dial tone, then make a test call. Your new services from Virgin Media are all set up and ready to use.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Thanks NewApollo

The pc and Hub are in one corner of the room

The white Cable comes in diagonally across the room (Behind TV) over a door frame etc etc

No socket behing Pc and Hub

Very confused sorry

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@MRM3 wrote:

Thanks NewApollo

The pc and Hub are in one corner of the room

The white Cable comes in diagonally across the room (Behind TV) over a door frame etc etc

No socket behing Pc and Hub

Very confused sorry

If you are getting a new hub as part of the phone switchover (often because an existing hub 1 or 2 has no phone socket on the back) then VM would normally send a technician, who will bring the new hub, and set it up for the new phone service.

You would need to connect your own wireless devices yourself to the new hub's wireless settings once it is up and running.

Your phone would then plug in to the back of the VM hub, using an adapter provided by VM, as below

21-cv-connection-to-hub.jpg

Thanks. I really hope an engineer comes to do it as not super confident.

Read that it is possible to change the WiFi names back to the ones I have now.

Would that make everything re connect by themselves? Or am I too hopeful ?

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Yes, if you change the SSID on the new hub to be the same as the old hub all devices should connect seamlessly. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

@Tudor wrote:

Yes, if you change the SSID on the new hub to be the same as the old hub all devices should connect seamlessly. 

Unless you connect a PC to the new hub  via a wired connection, you'll need to change the WiFi settings on one device to the new default Hub settings (as shown on the card that comes with the Hub) in order to connect and log in.  Once you've changed the SSID and Password you'll then need to change that one device back to its original settings.

Thanks.

At the moment my computer is connected by Ethernet cable.

Not looking forward to the New Hub coming if I should have to figure it out for myself.😁

Never looked in the Hub Settings for years as nothing changed.

However thanks to this forum I am learning a lot

Hoping someone will come with the Hub and help me. and not just deliver it.

My password is all lower case letters
VM says password has to be 10 characters - 1 uppercase letter -1 lowercase letter - and a number.
So how will I be able to connect exactly the same anyway??