forumarchive,nothingtosee,
Menu
AndyEss
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Media Connect app with hub running in modem mode ?

Hi ... we've had an internet outage yesterday and today at roughly the same time. In try to get help for this, I've been guided to use the Virgin Media Connect app. However, like many folks, my home wifi is serviced by an independent wifi mesh system, with superb diagnostics - the Virgin hub is only used in modem mode. I don't believe the app can work with this setup - am I correct? And if not, how do I escape this vicious circle in order to get support when I have an outage - for example, running diagnostics or status check on the hub ? 

Many thanks.

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Media Connect app with hub running in modem mode ?

May be stating the obvious, but have you checked the Service Status (link above right) & by phoning 0800 561 0061.

Interruptions on several days at the same time can be due to maintenance.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
AndyEss
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I'm a newbie, so stating the obvious is never a bad thing 🙂 ... but yes, no reported issues on the link - although by definition I cant do that when the service is disconnected. My mobile is with Virgin, but there's no reception where I live, and my home phone is provided via the broadband connection, so phoning the 0800 number is not an option either without leaving the house 😞 . And for completeness, the connection dropped again after I posted.

Cheers ... A 

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hub status page for Modem mode is 192.168.100.1    Post the logs and power levels here for comment.

Also setup a TBB monitor here www.thinkbroadband.com/ping   and upload when it has some content for comment.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

If I lived in a house with no VM (EE) mobile connectivity I would move to a supplier that does provide coverage - or at least have a PAYG as a back up for "emergencies" 🙂

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
AndyEss
Joining in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the advice John, but sadly we're in a dead spot for all the networks I've tried. Maybe I need to stick a mast up in my garden 🙂 ... our best solution may just be to re-instate the BT landline, tho' that diminishes the value of the VM bundle, and I'm not even sure the VM kit would work with that set-up.

Cheers ... A

0 Kudos
AndyEss
Joining in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Adduxi ... I can ping 192.168.100.1 on my network, but cannot connect to it - connection is refused. I can connect to my mesh router for admin on 192.168.68.1, but I'm not sure I would expect to connect via private wifi network to a modem ? Have requested a userid for the TBB service - will run the app when I get it verified ... but to be clear, at no point do I lose local wifi - it is internet connectivity I'm losing, so I'm guessing it's either the modem or the VM network. 

Cheers ... A

0 Kudos
AndyEss
Joining in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Adduxi ... hopefully the TBB graph I've attached is visible. Useful tool, shame it doesn't yet support dynamic IP. The data on latency I can also get from command line ping, and I don't have any worries on that front. But I'm guessing you were thinking that this monitor would also capture any VM outage as periods of packet loss - good thinking 🙂

AndyEss_0-1602157056473.png

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Problem sorter
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@AndyEss wrote:

Hi Adduxi ... I can ping 192.168.100.1 on my network, but cannot connect to it - connection is refused. I can connect to my mesh router for admin on 192.168.68.1, but I'm not sure I would expect to connect via private wifi network to a modem ? Have requested a userid for the TBB service - will run the app when I get it verified ... but to be clear, at no point do I lose local wifi - it is internet connectivity I'm losing, so I'm guessing it's either the modem or the VM network. 

Cheers ... A

Connecting to the Hub in Modem mode can be fickle IMHO, e.g. I've just tried on my laptop - timed out, but connected 1st time using my phone. You really need to get to the status pages to see the power levels and network logs.  Downstream should be between -6 and +10, and Upstream around 35 to 51.  Note the Hub 3 has a bug and displays the decimal point in the wrong place for Upstream!  Also note PostRS errors, these should be 0 or very low, anything else is noise on the circuit and will need to be fixed by an engineer.

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Problem sorter
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@AndyEss wrote:

Hi Adduxi ... hopefully the TBB graph I've attached is visible. Useful tool, shame it doesn't yet support dynamic IP. The data on latency I can also get from command line ping, and I don't have any worries on that front. But I'm guessing you were thinking that this monitor would also capture any VM outage as periods of packet loss - good thinking 🙂

Yes, there is no indication of dropped packets in that graph at present. As for dynamic IP, VM's WAN IP's very rarely change and can stay the same for years, so your TBB should be okay for monitoring. It's only when VM do upgrades or extend the network you may find your IP changes.

0 Kudos