cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it normal to have poor installation of FTTP?

csgohan4
On our wavelength

Picture tells a thousand words, I am not sure what to do. Just got Virgin Fibre installed and fully running. But I am concerned about the FTTC connections in the future with water corrosion. Not to mention water getting into that hole which I am sure is important

The virgin Media tech guy who installed the VM box today and set up the modem, just shrugged his shoulders and said nothing to do with him.

To be be fair 2 people came before, one to thread the fibre cable up and the next one to install the VM box. 

Please Help

1.jpg

8 REPLIES 8

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The grey boxes are BT. The black ‘cable’ with the green tracer looks like it’s a fibre sheath, the fibre would be on the inside. If this is the case it’s not coax and there is no possibility of corrosion. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

csgohan4
On our wavelength

It was more with the exposed wires below the grey bt box being exposed to the elements and risk of corrosion?

will there be a problem also with water getting into the hole at the base? 

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Yes the grey cover should have been properly reassembled but that would have required some further small effort from the installer to modify the cover to allow the new fibre to pass out, so they didn't bother with that and just left it.

Is the area on private land or accessible to the public? If the latter it would be more important IMO to get it repaired and reassembled properly.

csgohan4
On our wavelength

it is on my private land.

virgin installed it and left it that way. It was fine and neatly tucked away before they came.

csgohan4
On our wavelength
I hope a VM mod picks this up and escalate this

csgohan4
On our wavelength
I've contacted VM through the Online chat and they are sending an engineer to hopefully resolve this on Friday. Will report back next week. Fingers crossed, they will make it neat and back to how it was

csgohan4
On our wavelength
Engineer came and tidied up the cable. I provided a new Bt connector box aka elephant's foot as I figured they wouldn't have one lying around.

Happy now. Connection is still stable 1 week ago apart from a hiccup which a pin reset sorted that

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @csgohan4

Thank you for your reply!

Great to hear this is now sorted for you, I hope you have a great day.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs