cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internal socket location

airz5
Tuning in

I've got broadband being installed on 09/07 and I'd like to have the internal socket installed on the first floor. The only issue is the location would be over the top of a ground floor extension which would require climbing up a ladder and onto the extension roof which is sloped. 

Am I right in thinking that an engineer won't install a socket in a location they can't get to directly from a ladder?

If this is the case is there any issue if I'm happy to get onto the roof to run the cable into the house where I want while the engineer is here so he can then terminate it inside the inside?

5 REPLIES 5

Z92
Trouble shooter

Engineers seem to rarely carry ladders, but if you would be happy to install some kind of pull rope/string then the engineer could use this to install the co-ax to where you need it. You could then finish off the external installation (eg, seal the hole around the cable) after he's left.

Some engineers might also be quite happy to allow you to post the cable through the hole you've already made, but some may be reluctant.

That's fine I have a ladder anyway. I'll probably end up drilling the hole myself etc before they arrive anyway as I want the internal socket in a server closet.

airz5
Tuning in

Does anyone know what diameter hole needs to be drilled for the cable coming into the building?

Molly_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey @airz5,

We wouldn't be able to confirm this, however, our pre-installs team may be able to advise further on 0800 052 1734.

They should also be able to arrange a preinstall survey if needed.

Kind regards,

Molly_G
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Usually its an 8mm hole drilled at least 6 inches above base board so the socket can be fitted with the cable coming in by one of the top corners.

I work for VMO2 but all opinions are my own and are based on my own experiences