cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installed and VirginMedia issues

MartynLewington
On our wavelength

I got a VirginMedia M200 system installed today and works fine  as a standard install. I’m trying to install my own TP Link Archer VR2800 that I was using with Plusnet. It’s a great router with much better coverage than the VirginMedia 3 box. I’ve changed the setting on the TP link router to work to with the Virgin box. The Virgin Box I changed to work in operation mode I changed the TP Link from DSL Modem Router Mode to Wireless Router Mode. I changed the Virgin router to Enable Modem Mode. Rebooted both but no luck with them working together. Cable wise I have an Ethernet cable from the Virgin Hub port 1 to the TP Link port 4 WanLan port. The status on the Virgin hub is that the status led is red. What am I missing? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @MartynLewington 

The issue may be due to the sequence in which you've set up the equipment.

You need to follow this sequence 

Put the VM hub into modem mode and make sure the bottom led is magenta (reddish) then turn OFF the hub.

Fully initialise your own router, with the WAN port set to DHCP.

Plug it into the VM hub, it doesn't matter which port, but only one port works in router mode so remove any other ethernet cables from the hub3.

Then power on the VM hub and it should work.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @MartynLewington 

The issue may be due to the sequence in which you've set up the equipment.

You need to follow this sequence 

Put the VM hub into modem mode and make sure the bottom led is magenta (reddish) then turn OFF the hub.

Fully initialise your own router, with the WAN port set to DHCP.

Plug it into the VM hub, it doesn't matter which port, but only one port works in router mode so remove any other ethernet cables from the hub3.

Then power on the VM hub and it should work.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Thanks I’ll try that. I think I’ve tried every possible combination but I will follow it to the letter. Thanks 

@MartynLewington wrote:

Thanks I’ll try that. I think I’ve tried every possible combination but I will follow it to the letter. Thanks 

When you selected 'Wireless Router Mode' what did you set the 'Connection Type' to?

It should be 'Automatic IP' or 'Dynamic IP'.

I can’t access it at the moment but I only changed the dsl mode to wireless router mode. When I go to the 2nd setting I can only change the isp list. Am I missing something there? I can’t play with it now as we are out all day tomorrow