cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation

Mrgiz
Tuning in

Hi all im new to VM and will be having it installed very soon.. 

My question is: the cable installation team came yesterday and where they need to install the box ( external ) would have been at the front of the property but we have our living room at the rear of the property and where the cable would come into the house would have been a cupboard that the gas and electricity supply's are and there's no route for the cable to come from there to the rear of the house internally so they will need to go over the roof or across my neighbours house from the end of the terrace as we are a mid terrace property so the crew that came stated there no permitted to go over the roof and another crew would have to come out to sort the problem.. 

Does anyone know how they could possibly install the external box .. I spent over an hour on the phone explaining all this to people who have no clue.. 

My install engineer is due to come on the 10th but at this point in time has nothing to connect to lol 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hey Mrgiz, 

We love to hear thigs like this, 

Glad its all gone to plan for you.

Gareth_L

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

13 REPLIES 13

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Normal practice would take the cable in through the front and run internally, drilling internal walls as needed.  Running across other people's property or right round the entire terrace involves cost and complexity that mean they won't happen.  And running over the roof or through the loft is unlikely to be viable - needs a "working at height" team, ladder access back and front, safe access to loft space, and probably won't happen.

I could be wrong, but unless they can use the normal route, I doubt you'll be getting VM installed at all.  Wait and see what response you get, but I'm guessing that the order will be cancelled unless you agree to internal cable running and the wall mounted box where the technicians want to put it. 

Make sure any existing ISP contract remains in place until/if any VM installation actually happens.

Well the estate I live on they have just spent months installing the street cabinets and cables all the housing is identical so with the exception of the end houses the rest of the properties won't see it so there must be some plan or the millions they spent will be waisted...

Well the poor guys have been again today and they agreed the cable needs to go over the roof but the guys pen pushing in the office need to agreed to it .. 6 days to installation and no cable to the property yet lol 

Also a note .. there not digging up it will be run like a BT phone line but the connection to the front of the property first then needs re routing and thats where all the issues are getting it to and also to the right location on the property 

Good Afternoon @Mrgiz, thanks four your post on our Community Forums, and a very warm welcome to you!

Can you please advise me if you've been issued any updates since your post on Wednesday afternoon?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Just had the pre-install team here today.. got the box on the wall  had a great chat into how the cable will be routed now from front to back  ( they have not gone over the roof )  

Tomorrow ( 10th May) the poor install engineer has his work cut out for him  

Lots of brews and biscuits on standby 

All installed and working fine.. the installation engineer is a genuine gentleman 

Hey Mrgiz, 

We love to hear thigs like this, 

Glad its all gone to plan for you.

Gareth_L

davef28
On our wavelength

My son has an installation next week. Wants over the roof as sky did, What did they do if not over the roof ?

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @davef28

Welcome back to our Community Help Forum 🙂

Thank you for creating this post about our installation methods. Unfortunately we no longer provide installations that go over the roof, I am sorry for the inconvenience caused for your son. We usually wire the cables through the house via skirting boards and connect wall sockets.

If you have any further questions regarding your sons installation please do let me know.

Kind regards,

Serena