cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation service is an absolute joke!

andywolfy
Tuning in

I am now on my 5th install date and no closer to getting connected. Is it worth the hassle?

They have dug past my linving room and layed trunking to run the cable to the far end of the property and loop it back around the building to the living room. I told them when they marked up for the work not to put it there, but to run it straight in towards the living room. I even told them not to do any work until they had spoken to me.

They completely ignored me and did what they wanted.

I had to almost scream down the phone to get them to listen and send someone to my property, who agreed it makes more sense to put the trunking where I want it and promised it would be sorted.

They have now rescheduled twice because no-one has been to put a 6 foot length of trunking in the road!

Every time I speak to someone I am fobbed off with empty promises. It is 10 weeks since I ordered broadband and I have had nothing but hassle from Virgin Media so far. What confidence am I supposed to have that this shower of **bleep**e will be able to provide a decent broadband connection?

47 REPLIES 47

@andywolfy wrote:

@jem101 I have I have just got off the phone with them and after telling them I want to cancel my install they have actually provided me with some information. It turns out that the crew who put the conduit in the road were a bunch of cowboys and didn't do it properly. Apparently they now have to reroute the conduit which involves digging along a public road, hence the delay getting a permit from the council. This should also affect the property next door as the only conduit to their property at present is the one in my road.

The work is due to be completed by the first week in September, 6 weeks from when it was scheduled. Why I was not given this information on any of the other occassions when I have contacted them for an update shows just how little this company think of there customers.

The bloke I spoke to was very appologetic and said I will be compensated for the delays. We shall see.

Strange how they manage to cough up some information once you threaten to leave! Now the 'bunch of cowboys' will be contractors engaged by VM and as such VM are liable for their actions (or lack thereof), you might want to consider if this is how they are prepared to deal with you even before you are a paying customer, how might they behave once you are locked into an 18 month contract?

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Glad to hear that there's been some clarity with regards to the work that's required for you installation Andy, apologies for the frustration caused up until this point though it's certainly far from ideal.

Please continue to keep us updated with how you get on, fingers crossed there will be no more confusion/delay. 

Tom 

Update:

The work was scheduled to be done yesterday to pull the cable ready for a tech visit next Monday to hook up the internet. The cable pull was re-scheduled for Wednesday (no shock there) but they decided to turn up today, move everything in my yard and pull the cable through the conduit and connect it to my kitchen wall.

I mean, seriously? 2 months after you agree to move the conduit you put it where you want? In the wrong **bleep** place?

What the absolute f*#k is wrong with these people???

Suffice it to say that if the technician turns up on Monday there will be no cable for him/her to connect. This cable WILL be removed by 7pm on Friday either by them when they move it to the correct place, or by me when they don't.

Oh yes, and they owe me a recycle bin as it broke when I fell over it getting into my house on account of how they left it in front of my door!

If any of the admins on here have contact with people at VM I would be grateful if you re-iterate to them that either this cable is moved to the correct place by 7pm on Friday 10th or I remove this cable and ALL the trunking from within my property boundary. I told them this over the phone but I doubt it will have registered with them. Clearly nothing else I have said has been taken seriously.

Stay tumed for the weekend when I tell you how easy it is to remove VM trunking from your property. 😁

Hello andywolfy

Sorry to read the above has happened

It's not great and I am very sorry it never went to plan 

I know you have mentioned the deadline is today 10th 

Has anything else happened since your post?

Gareth_L

@andywolfy You will be unsurprised that Virgin Media have just been awarded Ofcom's Wooden Spoon for Most Complained About ISP in the quarterly Telecoms Hall of Shame.  And it was a real achievement this quarter with VM managing a "triple play" as they say in the telecoms industry, because that award will be going in to the VM trophy cabinet accompanied by the Golden Dog's Egg for Most Complained About Landline provider, and the Brown Rosette for Most Complained About TV Provider.  Unfortunately VM were pipped to the post in the other main category and had to settle for the silver after Three swooped in and snatched the Rancid Cup for Most Complained About Pay Monthly Mobile provider.  

Apology: That's starting to go off topic, and doesn't help you.  On the other hand if you share my sense of humour it might lighten the darkness of dealing with VM.  You should have seen the longer version that I had to edit, that was even better.

I definitely share your sense of humour pal, but no I am not at all surprised they have won these awards. I have to wonder if they gave credit in their acceptance speech to the contractors and the 'other department' they blame everything on.

@Gareth_L yes it has. They told me the cable repull has been scheduled for 22/09/21 and the technician visit for the 23/09/21. It seems expecting me to wait another 2 weeks for installation is acceptable.

Needless to say I had a somewhat heated telephone conversation with the 'pre-install' team and, although they insist they cant do it before the 22nd, they are claiming they will pass the matter to the area manager for him/her to investigate and that I 'may' be contacted if there is an update.

Regardless of what happens next at the VM end, the cable they have connected will be removed this weekend and in 7 days from today they will be sent 14 days notice to remove the conduit and cables from within my property boundary, or to negotiate an annual rental fee. As much as I want high speed broadband it is not worth this much hassle, and as much as the hot head in me wants to get the pick axe and dig the conduit out right now, I feel I have to do this properly with some sense of professionalism. Even if VM dont understand the concept.

Hi @andywolfy thanks for getting back to us.

I am so sorry for the delay in your installation.  Have you made your final decision or do you wish us to see what we can do to help resolve this installation issue?  We are more than happy to try on your behalf.

Regards

Lee_R

As I stated in my last post 14 days notice to remove the conduit and cables will be sent on Friday 17th. The only way to stop this happening is for the work to have been carried out by that date which, based on history, it won't have been.

If you want to try and sort this please feel free to try. Maybe you could get the 'area manager' to contact me, if such a person actually exists.

At this point I no longer care what happens. I have had 3 months of being ignored, fobbed off and messed about. I have had enough of the complete an utter incompetence I have witnessed at VM. There is no excuse for this mess!

The only thing I really want now is a contact address where I can send a recorded delivery letter.

Z92
Trouble shooter

The address you seek should be on your contract, but if this is because you want them to remove the cable, I wouldn't bother. It'll fall on deaf ears.