cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation outside of budget!?! Please Help!

KyleMcM
Tuning in

Complete frustration with getting Virgin Media services installed at my property!!

I have had two failed attempts at getting fibre broadband services installed, both occasions have resulted in the installations team informing that the ducting to my property is blocked within the road (not able to blow the fibre through) and will require additional works to rectify with a subsequent installation date being provided by Virgin Media. On both occasions the installations have been cancelled with no notification or reasoning other than 'it's outside of the budget'.

How can I work with Virgin Media to get this resolved? I am fully dependent on internet services and the standard copper broadband connection to my property is unusable.

I am willing to fund towards installation costs or work with the installation team on an alternative route into my property, however I don't seem to be able to have a conversation with anyone other than VM customer services.

Note: the property is not a new build or on a housing estate, is within a VM area, passes the basic availability checks, has had the initial installation works completed, has the brown VM box installed on the building, and has the VM black cable cover in the pavement outside the property.

Please help!       

8 REPLIES 8

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

There is not really anything you can do.

Unlike BT Openreach, Virgin have their own sole use infrastructure & there is no universal service obligation as there is with Openreach to service every property.

There is a budget of around £750 to £1000 to connect a single customer. Digging up then restoring a road crossing run into tens of thousands. I have seen them do this near me, but there were 30+ possible new customers on the other side of the road.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thank you for the reply.

I appreciate the situation and am willing to fund the works to bring the installation within budget. As I'm sure you can appreciate, it's a very frustrating situation given my immediate neighbor is receiving VM fibre services however I am unable, due to something which seems to be a simple solve.

I see there are two possible resolutions:

1. I personally provide the shortfall of funds to rectify the blockage, of which I am willing (within reason).
  2. I have a very long frontage to my property and believe the cable can enter my property pre-blockage (VM installations marked the road where the blockage is).

However I don't seem to be able to speak to someone to have a conversation about the above.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

There is another possibility, to run a cable across the boundary and connect up to your neighbour's outside box.  This is technically possible but would need the neighbour's permission.  Perhaps you could have a friendly word with them?  If you have funds available this may make their decision easier.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Thank you for the reply @jpeg1

I'd like to avoid that scenario if at all possible simply due to the properties not being directly adjacent, I have a field in-between and the neighboring property has a large garden area to the side of their house.

With my property being at the end of the fibre run (I'm the last property on the street before open countryside) and having a large frontage to my boundary I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to bring the run within my boundary pre-blockage (blockage is marked up on the road within my frontage). Also note there is no pavement to dig, it's a grass verge of maximum 0.5m.

Despite you using the word "fibre" on a number of occasions I'm virtually certain that there is coaxial cable in your area. I'm also certain that the problem is a blocked duct which prevents the cable from being pulled to your house from the cabinet, and hopefully a forum team member will be able to sort this out for you.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Thank you for the reply @Roger_Gooner.

I certainly hope so, it’s been a frustrating experience thus far. Initial installation was 28th March, however I have every faith VM can resolve this. 

If a member of the Virgin Media forum team could PM me please or provide some help in this thread that would be much appreciated. I'm having no luck with customer services unfortunately. 

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi There KyleMcm,

Thanks for your post.

I am sorry you are having issues with being installed.

Unfortunately, there is nothing we can do from here as it is not up to us ultimately.

I would recommend calling our pre-install team as they are the best team to advise you on this you can reach them on this number 0800 052 1734

Zoie