cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation on 25th, but the pre-install still hasn't happened?

nirurin
Tuning in

I have an  installation date set up for the 25th, which needs to happen as I work from home. Virgin automatically cancelled my previous internet with BT so that will expire on the 25th (doesn't seem to be anything I can do about that). I have taken time off work to be home on the 25th. 

We were told the preinstall team didn't need anyone at home to do their work (whatever that is). 

I have had a couple of missed calls from the generic 1111 virgin number over the last couple weeks, but whenever I call it back noone knows what it was about, and they assume it's something to do with the preinstall and put a note on my account but always say "nothing to worry about, your install date is still the 25th". 

Except now that's 4 days away, and there's still no cable on my property (which I assume is what is meant to be happening). I called today and I was asked to look for one anyway. 

So... what do I do now? The guy on the phone today said that the preinstall can happen anytime before the installation date, but that only leaves them with... tomorrow. And I really doubt it's going to be happening. At which point I'll be screwed. Wasn't until I looked at this forum today for 'preinstall problems' that I saw hundreds of people who basically said the preinstall team are useless cowboys that I realised there might be a problem. 

Edit: On a call with someone who is saying "ahh sorry you have not had the cable installed yet, but I can assure you everything looks fine on your account". Which is ... a complete waste of time, as even I know (now, anyway, after a small bit of research) that the engineer can turn up on monday as scheduled and then just say "sorry we can't install, buh-bye" and then I have another month (now without any internet) to wait for another engineer appointment. 

6 REPLIES 6

jem101
Superstar

OK you have done your homework and know what to expect. So if connectivity really is that vital to you, can you see about getting some kind of 4G or 5G ‘backup’ as a temporary solution?

Did you request a phone number port from BT to Virgin? I assume you must have as that is the only way that VM could tell BT to terminate the connection - now really the number port shouldn’t happen until after the VM system is up and running - and even then it is often a week or so later that it occurs.

We are getting a phone line via virgin, we were told that the number would remain the same, so I assume the answer is "yes" even though we never actually 'asked' for a phone number port. However the phone line being active doesn't necessarily mean BT will keep the internet running. 

I can certainly get a 4G setup here, but surely that should be on Virgin to provide? They are meant to be calling me back tomorrow (I'll believe it when it happens) but when I inevitably call them I'll request one and see what happens. 

So there's basically no hope of the internet actually being installed on monday? So how do I manage to get my internet installed? I assume at this point it'll be at least another month or so before the next appointment. (Which makes 4g less of a temporary measure)

I just had a call from virgin from tthe number I had the previous missed calls from... and it was just a confirmation "are you happy for the install to be on this date, please install the app to monitor your account" etc kind of call, nothing to do with the preinstall team at all...

So... Why have I had several dates for the preinstall, with no preinstall people turning up? And apparently no calls or notes on my account from them, and they haven't rang my doorbell that I've noticed.... 

Seriously confused. The virgin person I just spoke to said there was no issues and the preinstall should happen before monday, but that leaves them 1 day to do it. And I mean fine, if it does happen tomorrow, that's great, but... seems unlikely? 

goslow
Alessandro Volta

No one on here (or anywhere else in the VM organisation quite probably) will be able to give you any reliable answers to your questions, unfortunately.

The installation is often done in two phases (phase 1 bringing a cable from the street to the property and fitting an external junction box to the outside wall then phase 2 bringing a cable from the outside box to the inside, fitting an internal connection box/cable and installing the equipment).

Phase 1 is often carried out by sub-contractors or sub-contractors of sub-contractors. In this aspect there seems to be a total communication disconnect between VM and its sub-contractors once the task has been allocated by VM.

Some past topics have mentioned that the cable pull can be done on the same day as the installation but don't get your hopes up too high on that happening.

3monthdelay
Joining in

Hi 

Please see my latest post where my house has been wrongly labelled unserviceable.  Up till that point I had been waiting for nearly one year!!!!!!! They don't even tell you that your contract has been cancelled. I just happened to ring then up and after multiple calls to various departments it's like a jigsaw puzzle piecing together the information.

Best thing to do is get another service not Virgin Media and let virgin media do their own thing in the background.

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @nirurin thanks for your post in the community although I'm sorry to hear of your concerns raised.

It looks like there have been some developments since your posts to us last week (sorry for the delay in coming back to you).

How have things been in the lead-up to today, did your pre-pull go ahead successfully and are you on your way to getting services with us?

Please let us know if you need any further help.

Many thanks

Tom_W