cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation of BB upstairs

Leese3004
Joining in

I'm looking to move from sky to virgin media for both broadband and TV but I'm a little unsure as to how its installed.

At the moment I have my main phone line installed in the front bedroom with the sky hub in there as it's the only room with mains power on an external wall. I think use TP link cables to connect to my broadband hub to the sky HD box in my living room downstairs.

If I arrange for Virgin to come and install a new hub and tv box, will they be prepared to put the hub upstairs in the spare bedroom next to the phone line point and if so, how does it connect to the tv box downstairs? Is it the same as I do with sky, using tp link cables or wifi? 

I have my tv set up in the middle of the house and not near an external wall so I'm worried I'll end up with cables tacked around every door frame.

If anyone can help that would be much appreciated. 

Just a little concerned I wont be able to specify the entry point for the hub and be left with cables running wild.

3 REPLIES 3

VM-Jon
Forum Team
Forum Team

HI @Leese3004 

Welcome to the community and thank you for considering joining us, it would be great to have you onboard!

Reading your description i cannot see why we cannot follow exactly the same installation process. In most cases there is no issue in installing your hub upstairs, we should also be able to use your existing TP link devices to connect the hub back to your sky box just the same way.

When you place an order we can also offer a site survey prior to install to discuss you exact requirements and talk through anything you maybe concerned about.

Thank you again

Jon

Here to help! I'm an install manager helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

Hi Jon.

Thanks for getting back to me. I'm actually also looking at having my tv package from virgin too. Does this connect to the broadband hub in the same way via the tp link cables? Also, with the site survey prior to installation, is there a cost for this? I'm looking to sign up via the blue light website, would it give me an option to select a site survey?

Thanks 

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Leese3004, 

Thank you for posting. 

When ordering through the Blue Light site, you will not be provided with the option to book a site survey but once your order is placed, you can arrange this with our team on 0800 052 1734.

There should not be an issue with connecting the TV service but if you do have any concerns, the technician conducting the site survey will be able to take a look and confirm this for you 🙂 

Thanks, 

Nat