cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation fibre nightmare

Ckeown1
Tuning in

I bought my fibre package two weeks ago and had it deliver to my new flat only to find the previous tenants did not have a fibre optic cable port/socket set up. 

I called virgin media, after half an hour, I booked an engineer for a week away.

today the engineer “came” and claimed to wait 20 mins before leaving, I took the day to work from home and was eagle eared for any doorbells etc. answered the door to postmen etc and never saw an engineer. 

after another 30 mins on the phone I have rebooked an engineer for another week from now, now weeks into my contract without any wifi I am very frustrated. There has also been no confirmation that the engineer that he will be able to install anything on arrival.

the icing on the cake is the window provided is 1-6pm, a day I cannot get off work. With no attempt to narrow the time frame.

7 REPLIES 7

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

Go outside and see if you can find a box, normally brown or gray, and the wall socket should be directly opposite this box. Sometimes the wall socket has a logo from a VM predecessor company such as Telewest or NTL, sometimes there isn't even a socket but a cable poking through a hole in the wall.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

There doesn’t appear to be a box of that description, the previous renters must have been using the telephone output in the living room.

As far as I’m aware I cannot connect my fibre optic cable to the telephone output.

If you've been sent a Quickstart pack there used to be a VM service from a coaxial cable. The tech will sort it out.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VM does not use any telephone connection. Their own cables are coax.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Ckeown1
Tuning in

I am now two weeks into my contract and have not had any use of wifi. Yesterday an engineer was meant to arrive and never came. After 40 mins on the phone, i found out that they were here for 20 mins waiting apparently, which is a total fabrication as I was in the house all day with the windows open and answered the door for the post, etc.

Yesterday I tried to rebook and was told they could come early next week but the booking did not show up on my account. I called again today and after 40 mins and finally being transferred to the dispatch team to try to get an earlier booking I was hung up on by the operator after being told of "system difficulties".

I am unsure how to even start using my wifi now, at this rate I will be paying for an unplugged box. it appears to be impossible to get an engineer to come at any reasonable time for a working household. WIll be taking this issue to the consumer ombudsman uk next and exploring my options to leave virgin and get a provider that will listen to my issues.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Ckeown1 wrote:

I am now two weeks into my contract and have not had any use of wifi. Yesterday an engineer was meant to arrive and never came. After 40 mins on the phone, i found out that they were here for 20 mins waiting apparently, which is a total fabrication as I was in the house all day with the windows open and answered the door for the post, etc.

Yesterday I tried to rebook and was told they could come early next week but the booking did not show up on my account. I called again today and after 40 mins and finally being transferred to the dispatch team to try to get an earlier booking I was hung up on by the operator after being told of "system difficulties".

I am unsure how to even start using my wifi now, at this rate I will be paying for an unplugged box. it appears to be impossible to get an engineer to come at any reasonable time for a working household. WIll be taking this issue to the consumer ombudsman uk next and exploring my options to leave virgin and get a provider that will listen to my issues.

If you have had a failed 'Quick Start' installation, VM should count this as a total loss of service fault and you should qualify for compensation (item 6 below) at £8.40 per day subject to the T&Cs

https://www.virginmedia.com/legal/fibre-optic-services-terms-conditions/automatic-compensation

Depending on how the previous connection worked in your flat, there may not be an obvious VM wall box. Sometimes there is no wall box at all, just a trailing cable. The cable could be hidden within, or behind, furniture. Occasionally only a very short stub of wire is left behind often hidden within a blanked-off fitting or faceplate. Any wall box/faceplate may be branded with the logos of an old cable TV company (not VM). Past occupiers of your property may have removed the cable altogether and sometimes they are removed by other installers, such as satellite TV techs.

Good Morning @Ckeown1, thanks for your post on our Community Forums, and a very warm welcome to you!

I'm terribly sorry to read that you've not yet been able to enjoy our services. Can you please confirm if an appointment for an engineer visit has been booked in and if this is visible within the application/self-care account for the new services?

If you haven't had the services yet installed, we would be able to ensure that you're not charged for this period, and any loss of service credit you're entitled to would then be added.

Kindest regards,

David_Bn