cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation delay nightmare

Gcath
Joining in

Ok so long story short ( I’ll try) , I ordered virgin media on 3rd September 2022 for installation on 23rd September after getting a flyer saying services were in my area (finally)

I check the app and the date is moved without my consent or advice until 27th September. I ring up to query and they tell me it’s because pre pull etc needs to happen in the street as I am the first customer. Fair enough I thought. I tell the guy on the phone my BT broadband contract ends on 26th so I really need it in on 27th.” No problem, cancel your BT for then and we will have you up and running “ I tell the guy I am working from home and he reassures me 

Engineer comes out on 27th and apologises and said he can’t do anything as the external work has not been started. I explain that I need broadband for working at home and they said they will get a manager to ring me. Never happens. 

over the next few weeks I spend 15+ hours on the phone, WhatsApp messaging and going around in circles and they tell me my appointment is now 26th NOVEMBER!!

They offer me a mobile dongle ( should have been offered this weeks before ) and I get told that the order fails due to their problem. So I have to go through another credit search to apply again ( basically being held at gunpoint as I have no other option) and it eventually comes out. Very slow speed of 1mb for the last 30 days. 

I raise a complaint with them over 6 weeks ago and when I checked they said I don’t have a complaint and it was resolved with the dongle being ordered etc. I can’t take this to the independent regulator as it hasn’t been 8 weeks and they keep closing it ?

My understanding is that I would be due auto compensation every day from 23rd September until it gets installed at the rate of £5.25 a day as I don’t have services still. Is that correct ?

someone please help 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Gcath, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's great having you on board with us in the Community. 

I'm really sorry to hear that we've had to put the installation on hold for now due to further works being needed to be completed. Whilst this isn't ideal, it does happen on occasions due to the way we provide our network. Sometimes this can take around 10 weeks to complete depending on the issue at hand. 

We're not able to expedite things but I'm happy to take a look at things for you to ensure you have the latest update. I can also ensure a complaint is raised to ensure the relevant teams are aware. 

To do this I will need some information from you in order to help. I have sent you a private message regarding this and will investigate further once I receive your reply. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
see this
_______

The current VM installation process is badly managed when things aren’t straightforward and cable re-pulls are needed. So dont bother chasing it. Just let the installation play out. Do nothing. You will pay nothing (£0) until a VM connection is actually installed and activated. And even from then (if it gets that far) you have 14 days in which to cancel - again with no costs. Or keep it if you like it after those 14 days

In the meantime, can you connect to OR, Sky, BT etc - or to a 4G/5G service - perhaps on a 30-day contract? Three recently had a 30-day 4G unlimited package for ~£20. If so, do it now and just let the VM install run its course. As said, you will pay nothing until VM's service is installed and operational. When it finally happens, you have 14 days in which to cancel it at no cost to yourself and keep the other service. Or, if VM is working to your satisfaction, keep it and cancel the other service (hence better if you took a 30-day contract).

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Multiple-Failed-Installations-zero-commun...

And then re. install compensation - see the Ofcom rules….

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/costs-and-billing/automat...

And Tony’s excellent advice in message 7 here….

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Join-the-club-FAILED-INTERNET-INSTALLATIO...

And an example of >£1300 “bill credit” upon connection.

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showpost.php?p=36130259&postcount=1

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Be prepared for the appointment on 26 November to be cancelled.

This will probably happen on the 25th when you have already booked the time off work. Or maybe even on the 26th, after you have waited in all day.

I'd say you'd be lucky to be up and running this year.

Unfortunately, this is just how it is with Virgin.

jem101
Superstar

@Gcath wrote:

...Snip

My understanding is that I would be due auto compensation every day from 23rd September until it gets installed at the rate of £5.25 a day as I don’t have services still. Is that correct ?

someone please help 

And that its entirely correct, although you may have a slight fight to get the compensation as some (not all) VM customer services staff don't seem to understand the regulations and quote meaningless terms like 'provisional dates' and 'it's not our fault guv'.

Making a complaint is probably a bit premature as indeed is going to the industry adjudicator. They have no power to 'force' VM to install quicker, indeed, VM are perfectly within their rights to decide that don't want to connect you up at all. The adjudicator can only really intervene if and when VM fail to pay the required compensation and that only becomes due if either a) they connect you up and you claim the requisite amount as a bill credit; b) you decide to cancel, in which case they are supposed to pay the £5.25 for each day from Sept. 23rd until the date you cancel; or c) VM decide they can;'t be bothered with you and issue a 'cease notice' to that effect - but even if they do that, and nobody on here has ever reported being sent one, they are still obliged to pay the compensation for a full 30 days AFTER they issue the notice.

So what should you do in the meantime? Think about the compensation racking up, if internet connectivity is important to you then see if you can't sort out your own 4G/5G connection with whoever gives the best connectivity in your area, see if you can't do this on a rolling monthly contract? Eventually you may feel want to consider investigating another supplier, but whatever you do, DO NOT cancel the VM install, the compensation racks up and even if they do install, you have the right to cancel afterwards within 14 days without penalty - but then you know that the cables are all in place if you fancy giving VM another go in the future.

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Gcath, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's great having you on board with us in the Community. 

I'm really sorry to hear that we've had to put the installation on hold for now due to further works being needed to be completed. Whilst this isn't ideal, it does happen on occasions due to the way we provide our network. Sometimes this can take around 10 weeks to complete depending on the issue at hand. 

We're not able to expedite things but I'm happy to take a look at things for you to ensure you have the latest update. I can also ensure a complaint is raised to ensure the relevant teams are aware. 

To do this I will need some information from you in order to help. I have sent you a private message regarding this and will investigate further once I receive your reply. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

10 weeks would be nice. 

If only that were a reality.

My next date is currently 17 weeks after my original date and I am fully expecting that to be cancelled as usual.

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for your reply and this information, newcustabc1.

We're sorry to hear the delay has been ongoing for this long, has our team advised on the reasons causing this rescheduling and have you raised your complaint with our pre-installs team or over this forum so far?
Please, visit this link here to have a read for more info on the installation, cabling and construction process.

We'd be happy to check this further and provide with any updates about the date this work will complete, let us know where we are with this and if you need our assistance.

In case you've been advised your service install has been cancelled you may as well refer to this page , paragraph 3.

Thanks,

Adri
Forum Team

@Kath_F wrote:

Hi Gcath, 

I'm really sorry to hear that we've had to put the installation on hold for now due to further works being needed to be completed. Whilst this isn't ideal, it does happen on occasions due to the way we provide our network.

And how do you provide your network, incompetently it would appear? Sorry Kath but you really did walk into that one!

Sometimes this can take around 10 weeks to complete depending on the issue at hand. 

Ten weeks? Well the compensation really does rack up, doesn’t it, £5.25 a day? Are you sure you wanted to admit this? Oh and please don’t reply with the ‘provisional date’ story, it doesn’t fly with CISAS, does it?

We're not able to expedite things

fair enough and entirely true because of the way VM have decided to run their company, I’m not sure that God, Himself is able to expedite things.

but I'm happy to take a look at things for you to ensure you have the latest update. I can also ensure a complaint is raised to ensure the relevant teams are aware. 

And that’ll achieve what exactly?

Thanks,

Hey @gcath I had the same issue as you. Had to end up going back to Sky as Virgin Media were so incompetent. I now understand why they're cheaper than Sky and competitors. Their backend systems and customer service are obviously not invested in. After a similar situation (Ordered beginning of September for a house move mid October, and then delayed to late November), we cancelled Virgin, and the one call I ever got in that 6 weeks was to ask about our upcoming installation, 6 days after we'd cancelled the contract. 

I'm going to be writing a letter to the CEO as their systems just don't function as they should. I'm going back to much worse internet, because Virgin were so poor in getting their product installed. 

Well I now have a bit of hope. I demanded a site visit and the engineer came out ( same one that came out 6 weeks before ). He was shocked and I told him to get his manager on the phone. Told them I would be going to the local newspaper and advising everyone in the development of what has been happening. 

The next morning the cable pull happened and the day after the engineers came out and put the cable on the wall. 

My installation is happening on 26th, apparently. Maybe a bit of pressure has worked