cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation date pushing, not my fault

jhg90
Joining in

I picked Virgin because they offered fast internet and a quick installation. 

I was meant to have my connection installed yesterday, but the night before the appointment (that I took time off work to be available for) I got a text saying they'd have to postpone the installation until they get permission from the building owner to install wires on the outside of the building. But I'm the freeholder of the building. So I responded to explain this and after a day they sent me a form to fill in. I did this all very quickly as I need the internet access as soon as possible for work. I called up customer services who have said I just have to wait for them to get back to me on email. 

I finally got an email this morning to say that the appointment has been rescheduled for 5th July which is a further two weeks after the installation process was meant to be!! 

If they had just called me, I could have given them permission on the phone, now I'm going to have to rent another apartment or an office space until I can use my own property to work and there wasn't actually anything tangible to hold the process up. 

Is there anything I can do to speed up the process? I'm also wondering if I can now cancel my contract and get something faster elsewhere or am I tied in to this now? Already tiring to use Virgin and I've just started... 

2 REPLIES 2

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Nothing you can do to change the progress of a VM install (and don't be persuaded otherwise, we've seen instances in this forum of installations taking a year or more beyond the agreed date....), it will happen when it happens, and no amount of complaining will improve matters, nor will any assurances be worth the toilet roll they're written on.  If it's a VMB install you shouldn't have to wait quite as long as some of the consumer installs run on for. 

In terms of cancelling, your rights may vary from the ones we're familiar with in this forum as yours sounds like a business install.  If it's with VMB, then phone to cancel and make sure there's no penalties for cancelling prior to connection.  That'll depend on the contract wording and how VM choose to interpret it, and whether the agreement is deemed to be "in force".  A quick gander at T&Cs suggests (I'm no lawyer, so bear in mind that I'm not offering any legal opinion) that the agreement doesn't come into force until connected and if that's correct you could cancel before installation - but there's no statutory cooling off right for businesses.  If the contract is with vanilla Virgin Media (ie the consumer broadband packages) then the systems are all setup around a 14 day cooling off period, and you can cancel any time up until 14 days after you get connected.

Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi jhg90,

Thanks for posting and welcome to our community 🙂

I'm very sorry to hear of delays with your installation.

So I can get a few more details from you and look into your complaint I've popped you over a private message (purple envelope, top right hand corner)

Alex_Rm