cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Install concern

Nahguam
Joining in

Hello,

I have arranged for my Virgin install for the Ultimate volt bundle (2x TV boxes) booked for 12th April but am concerned about the install inside the property which I can’t seem to get any answers to and hoping someone from here can help

The external box is on the front of my house (mid terrace)  which would enter into my kitchen and the “tv rooms” are on the rear of my property, one downstairs and one upstairs, I do not want cables running through the kitchen on the walls, along skirting boards / around door frames etc. until they reach the rear / upstairs of the property 

Has anyone else had an install circumstance such as mine and how was it solved? Is it possible to somehow have the cables enter through the rear of the property?

I appreciate any feedback or responses 

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Nahguam wrote:

Hello,

I have arranged for my Virgin install for the Ultimate volt bundle (2x TV boxes) booked for 12th April but am concerned about the install inside the property which I can’t seem to get any answers to and hoping someone from here can help

<snip>

Thank you

Is your loft accessible and safe to work in i.e. loft ladder and boarded and with lighting?

One option may be to run a cable up the front wall of the house, through the loft and down the back wall.

However, as a general rule, VM don't seem to 'do' lofts during installations, based on the topics on here.

Customers with a similar problem on here have reported helping the VM tech by feeding cables through the loft themselves during the installation.

Another option might be to install some conduit in the loft area (via a local electrician for example) and leave a draw wire in the conduit ready for the VM tech to pull the cable through from front to back.

VM tech's supposedly work to first floor height during installations so accessing some conduit exposed just under the eaves should (in theory) be possible.

An alternative (if you have a suspended timber floor) might be to install such a conduit system and draw wire under the floor in advance of the installation from front to back.

With all that said, a lot may depend on the individual technician who turns up to do the work and how much time they have available to do the work. Anything you can do in advance to facilitate the installation might help.

Have you asked about a pre-installation survey to agree what can be done? I don't know the means to arrange that but you could try the pre-installation and delivery team on 0800 052 1734 to see if such a thing can be arranged (reports on here of their usefulness varies though so don't expect too much!)

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

2 REPLIES 2

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Nahguam wrote:

Hello,

<snip>

Thank you

Is your loft accessible and safe to work in i.e. loft ladder and boarded and with lighting?

One option may be to run a cable up the front wall of the house, through the loft and down the back wall.

However, as a general rule, VM don't seem to 'do' lofts during installations, based on the topics on here.

Customers with a similar problem on here have reported helping the VM tech by feeding cables through the loft themselves during the installation.

Another option might be to install some conduit in the loft area (via a local electrician for example) and leave a draw wire in the conduit ready for the VM tech to pull the cable through from front to back.

VM tech's supposedly work to first floor height during installations so accessing some conduit exposed just under the eaves should (in theory) be possible.

An alternative (if you have a suspended timber floor) might be to install such a conduit system and draw wire under the floor in advance of the installation from front to back.

With all that said, a lot may depend on the individual technician who turns up to do the work and how much time they have available to do the work. Anything you can do in advance to facilitate the installation might help.

Have you asked about a pre-installation survey to agree what can be done? I don't know the means to arrange that but you could try the pre-installation and delivery team on 0800 052 1734 to see if such a thing can be arranged (reports on here of their usefulness varies though so don't expect too much!)

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Nahguam, 

Thanks for taking the time to contact us via the Community. It's lovely having you on board with us in the Forums.

If the external cables are to the front of your home then they would have to enter and be drawn from there. Goslow has given some great options in their post above on how you can facilitate the installation however it will all depend on how much extra time things would take as the engineer would only have a certain amount of time booked to do the installation. 

We can look at getting in touch with the area manager to see if a pre-installation visit can be done beforehand. This way you c an chat through things with someone and agree a cabling route. 

We will need to confirm a few details with you so I have sent you a direct message to allow us to do this with you in a private space. Just click on the little envelope at the top right-hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs