Menu
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 11 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Import DHCP settings from old V3 hub to new V3 hub?

Would have been simple for VM to do a plain text of settings instead of backing up in a way thats just for that given hub...maybe you could compare the two backups from each hub to copy over the DHCP list...unless the backup is encrypted...

---------------------------------------------------------------
horseman
Alessandro Volta
Message 12 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@legacy1 wrote:

Would have been simple for VM to do a plain text of settings instead of backing up in a way thats just for that given hub...maybe you could compare the two backups from each hub to copy over the DHCP list...unless the backup is encrypted...

9 years and you still have’nt resolved the obvious! ......   

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
DEFROCKED
0 Kudos
MrHalfAsleep
Trouble shooter
Message 13 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@legacy1 wrote:

Problem with that, though, is nefarious types would have a birthday if they got access to your system.  It's a security thing.  An option for backing up to VM servers (edit) [linked to the user account] may (or not) be a better idea.😐

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
Some video posts may contain swearing/inappropriate content for young children

π
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 14 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@horseman wrote:

@MikeRobbo wrote:

Funny old thing but back in mid September an old workmate of mine backed up his Hub 3 before it was replaced with another Hub 3 and the replacement Hub would not accept the back up file that had recently been made.

100% failure rate that I know of and, only you have contradicted it but show no proof and hide behind some kind of NDA.

Check your PM/DM’s - I won’t embarrass you in public.......   and it will take some considerable time to “flesh out”  further and reply...... as VM NDA’s  do require That I respect their Trial / hard-software  offerings with NDA ...... If you really are a Genuine “military software”  developer then you’ll know exactly the restrictions We “both” have to work to! 

Rest assured, I’ll be in touch.....

Still waiting ...

Oh, by the way. You won't embarrass me, but you sure are embarrassing yourself with your attitude of talking down to people.

Go back to your self made little kingdom of knowledge and, enjoy the superior feeling of thinking that you actually matter.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 15 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@horseman wrote:

@MikeRobbo wrote:

The Hub backup files are not transferrable between Hubs.

Not really accurate! ...... There’s no official (Publically published) “parser” tween various firmware levels across same/incrementall hardware platforms - I can’t elaborate further as I am “persona non grata”(from VM management POV) and thus categorized as “Variably Intolerant Poster” (after a decade as Community Ambassador/SuperUser”)....... 😛

I applaud your own (and JBrennand.......Dexter’s, Legacie’s) Attempts to Assist the community but regrettably you Are all Somewhat Gullible/naive.....  And VM will not allow me to elaborate further without removing my access to these forums.

By all means PM/DM me (Any one else I’ll ignore) and there will invariably be a delay..... of 2-4weeks For reply......Sorry.....

You really are full of your own self impotence, aren't you ?

It wouldn't matter to the majority of regulars on here and all the visitors with problems, you don't post anything of value because you hade behind your NDA but proudly display badges of self made importance.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
DebB
On our wavelength
Message 16 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Calm down & make peace please, thanks for the opinions and posts, let's just say while it might seem obvious backing up settings would be transferrable between Virgin hubs in practice it's technically not advisable or possible. No big deal I'll let DHCP do the work then add the IP's to the reserved list.

Maybe Virgin should make this an obvious FAQ so people like myself don't come back asking the same thing , I see there are a few threads on this now.

Stay safe people, help one another and close the thread.

Z92
Trouble shooter
Message 17 of 17
Flag for a moderator

To be honest, this is just another reason why you should always just run the hub in modem mode and use a proper router 🙂