cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm thinking about getting my own router.

obadaveil82
Joining in

If I put the hub into modem mode, and use my own router, could this cause any issues with tech support down the line? I don't want to be told they can't help me because I'm not using their hub so clearly my router is at fault?

Also, how good is the VM hub anyway? I have the latest. I'm looking at a £100 router, would that be significantly better?

14 REPLIES 14

SonarUK
Rising star
read this thread

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Hub-4-wifi-coverage/td-p/4640758

https://twitter.com/SeriousFamily

Gig1 | Hub 5 Modem Mode | Asus RT-AX86U | Asus RT-AC86U

mjpartyboy
Fibre optic
VM provide modem mode to enable us to use our own router if we wish. However, they're not responsible for supporting anything beyond the Super Hub, so any third-party router related issues are up to you and/or the manufacturer's support to resolve where appropriate.

I've always run my SH2 in modem mode and used ASUS routers. First the N66U, then the AC68U and for the last few years the AC86U (I kept the old ones, so use the AC68U as a mesh node with wireless backhaul).

We're on the 200/20 service and I can max out the connection on the 5 GHz band with the AC86U, so I would look for routers that are at least the spec of the AC86U, or higher. It's also worth noting, there are many factors that influence the performance between a router and its client devices.
SH2 modem mode | AC86U router | AC68U node

Anonymous
Not applicable
if you are worried about support. if you have problems test the connection in router mode without your router and then get support with that.

thomaskin
Just joined

Virgin says that in order to use your own router with its broadband, you'll need to use its Hub 3 as a modem. Enter 192.168.0.1 into your browser and enter the password printed on the bottom of your Hub 3 when prompted. Then select modem mode>enable modem mode>apply changes. The process is much the same if you have an older Virgin Super Hub.

thank you...

Z92
Trouble shooter

You don't need to use modem mode to use your own router. It's the best way of doing it but it's not essential. So try it with the hub first without modifying any settings and it you are happy with it like that then leave it at that. You then have the added benefit that you can use the WiFi from the hub and the WiFi from your new router if you so wish, ensuring you cover more of your property. 

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Z92 wrote:

You don't need to use modem mode to use your own router. It's the best way of doing it but it's not essential. So try it with the hub first without modifying any settings and it you are happy with it like that then leave it at that. You then have the added benefit that you can use the WiFi from the hub and the WiFi from your new router if you so wish, ensuring you cover more of your property. 

However, it's a bit of a waste buying a router to run it as an access point.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
See this from a "happy camper".

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Binning-the-Superhub-for-another-Router/td-p/4752653

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Z92
Trouble shooter

@Adduxi wrote:

@Z92 wrote:

However, it's a bit of a waste buying a router to run it as an access point.

Why do you think that?

If all you need is WiFi in the garden for example, then that might be all you need, and certainly cheaper than renting a booster from VM...

Ron53
Tuning in

Just curious. I have a Hub 3 and use an ORBI (Netgear mesh product) with satellite (I am about to upgrade to wifi 6), I originally set this up with the Virgin box in modem mode as per the instructions. A while back I was still having wifi issues so reverted back to try the Virgin box in its normal router mode. Was no better, so I added the ORBI setup again. This time I did not initially put the Virgin box in modem mode. I was surprised to see that now both wifi networks are visible and both work, seemingly independent of each other. I am curious as to why bother with modem mode if this works anyway...or is there some intrinsic problem with having both wifi hubs visible that is not obvious?