cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Humming noise emanating from SuperHub 4

SONY007
On our wavelength

Can anyone advise on whether they is meant to be a noticeable humming sound emitting from the SH4? The sound is definitely coming from the device which didn't occur with the SH3. Now when in the same room you can hear it. I tried moving it about to see if there is an ideal position but the noise is still audible.

Is this normal with the SH4 or should the device be completely silent ?

6 REPLIES 6

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It has a fan, some do sound louder than others, but check it is not vibrating. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

SONY007
On our wavelength

It's not vibrating it's humming. So when you say that sound louder than others, is that a fault ? I say that as I doubt anyone using the device in close proximity would want to hear that continous humming. 

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Try standing the Hub on a soft mat.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi SONY007,

Thanks for posting and welcome back the community!

From looking at the account in question, I can see the all levels seem to be good which won't indicate in any box faults. 

With regards to the sound, our boxes can emit sound due to the fan built within the Hub, some can sound louder than others as well based on a variety of scenarios, the main one being where the box is located.

Can I ask where the hub is situated and also can the sound be heard from a far distance?

Please let us know.

Thanks,

Kain

SONY007
On our wavelength

It can be heard when in the same room. The router sits on top of a hard surface low to the ground. It's a situation where if I turn my head left or to the right, that seems to change the how loud the sound is. I don't know if there's a way to cover the device partly to block the fan noise that virgin can recommend. 

Is there a way to reduce the fan speed if I wanted to do this within the settings and test that the router is working as it should?

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Have you tried giving it a good whack?  Irritating noises are often where an electrical component is hitting a harmonic of the mechanical assembly, and a percussive impact is a reasonable technique.  Obviously if over-done then it's a case of then calling in as a non-working hub "it just stopped working, don't lnow why", but that's another way of (hopefully) solving the problem.