cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub3 power consumption/switch off at night?

Edm1
Joining in

Hi, looking to reduce electricity usage as much as possible. My hub isn’t used during the night  so wasting power

what is the power consumption watts?

any reason not to put it on a mains timer to switch off at say midnight at on again 6am?

9 REPLIES 9

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Figures of 12 or 13 W have been quoted on here in the past IIRC.

If you have a landline phone from VM that comes through the Hub 3, your home phone would not work if the power to the hub was off.

Edit: Refer below for some stat's

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Power-consumption-SuperHub3-both-modes/td-p...

Stuxxxx
Tuning in

Or put another way…12W is 12/1000 = 0.012kWh  At 42p per kWh (what I’m now paying), that’s 0.5p an hour.

Even a 100W traditional light bulb is only 100/1000 = 0.1kWh, i.e. 4.2p an hour.

The things that really drink juice are anything with a heater in it.  Take a kettle at 1.8kW, i.e. 1800W.  1800/1000 = 1.8kWh or 76p an hour.  If boiling a kettle takes 5 minutes that’s 5/60 x 76 = 6.3p

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Edm1 wrote:

<snip> any reason not to put it on a mains timer to switch off at say midnight at on again 6am?

VM will advise to leave on for firmware updates etc. But there are users on this Forum who use timers. It’s your choice. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Stuxxxx
Tuning in

On the other hand and no offense meant to Adduxi…

OK, say a timer costs £8.  (The cheapest I can see on a certain online shopping portal).  Turning off saves 0.5p and hour, say 3p for 6 hours over night.  Timer therefore takes 800p/3p = 267 days to pay for itself, (roughly 9 months) and that's not counting the electricity that the timer itself will use.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Stuxxxx wrote:

On the other hand and no offense meant to Adduxi…

OK, say a timer costs £8.  (The cheapest I can see on a certain online shopping portal).  Turning off saves 0.5p and hour, say 3p for 6 hours over night.  Timer therefore takes 800p/3p = 267 days to pay for itself, (roughly 9 months) and that's not counting the electricity that the timer itself will use.

This has been discussed at regular intervals in the past and the two schools of thought are A) turning the router off brings personal and environmental benefits by saving money and electricity so those folk fit a timer or B) turning the router on and off repeatedly may be harmful to the router, may miss out on overnight updates and would also disconnect smart gadgets from the internet as well as the VM phone line via the router, so those folk leave the hub on.

As stated by Aduxxi, it's a matter of choice.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

IMO there is no need for a timer.

What's wrong with getting up off your backside and manually turning off equipment?

<Does an Indiana Jones and runs like hell>

indi.gif

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Not trying to argue one way or the other, but if you have an alarm, doorbell, cameras or IoT devices the hub will need to stay on.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Edm1
Joining in

Thanks all for your comments. Question answered! Kudos and thank you to all you experts !!

Personally I hate waste but I seems the hub consumption is so small there are bigger fish to fry in my house!

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Edm1 wrote:

Thanks all for your comments. Question answered! Kudos and thank you to all you experts !!

Personally I hate waste but I seems the hub consumption is so small there are bigger fish to fry in my house!

Don't know the wattage for frying fish but likely to be quite high! 😁