cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5x availability after trials

amit328
Tuning in

Hi, I recently got a new 1gig connection installed (FTTP) and have the Hub 5 also a white RFoG box.
The engineer at the time mentioned the Hub 5x will eliminate the need for the RFoG box as it will have a fibre input.
I understand the Hub 5x is relatively new and for trials?, but will it be offered to customers at some point?.  One less device to plug in.  Thanks..
IMG_0541.jpg

12 REPLIES 12

marekthomasx1
On our wavelength

Interesting question actually. 

As far as my understanding goes, in the current space it’s the weird situation with RFoG and XGS-PON at the minute. because those (say, in northern ireland) are on direct PON networks to the router at point of install I’m not sure how this will play out, I mean, It’s no harm ringing customer care and asking, i’m sure you’re not the only one who’s asked. I think you’d still need some kind of termination point anyway, purely to connect to but just with different equipment. 

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Interesting to see if the fibre connection from the RFOG ONU can actually fit into the Hub 5x.  I guessing even if it did the underlying technologies are too different to work.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

amit328
Tuning in

Thanks @marekthomasx1 and @adduki for the replies.  I'll see if anyone else in the community has posted a similar question.  Also might reach out to customer care at some point and see if they can advise and clarify.  

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Also be aware, at present I believe the 5X has no functioning modem mode.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@marekthomasx1 wrote:

<snip>  I think you’d still need some kind of termination point anyway, purely to connect to but just with different equipment. 

AFAIK, the fibre is spliced at the outside omnibox and from there a fibre is run to the 5X, i.e. there is no internal termination?  Slightly different to Openreach, who terminate internally with an ONT with an ethernet port.

I did see there was a possible workaround for enabling modem-mode by going to:  http://192.168.0.1/?page=modemmode

Source: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/The-New-5x-Hub-different-than-the-standard-...

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Yes, but even though this "hidden" page URL will allow modem mode, AFAIK it does not work and will not pass a WAN address to a third party Router.  If anyone is waiting for VM to implement a firmware update, it could be a long time coming   🙂

Jonny-M
Fibre optic

Did you instruct the engineer to leave the installation like that, with the ONU not attached to the wall? 

mpmc
Superfast

This thread has intrigued me.  The OPs install is different to mine. The fibre has been brought inside and attached to an inside ONU with a short coax for the hub. Ours is like the one posted here.

I honestly would've preferred OPs install rather than our current outside ONU/T, with a long coax from the outside box and to/from a power injector.

I'm aware it's pretty much the same thing but OPs install must be a newer method. I wonder how many people have it like OP or the (old) way, like we do?

I'm going to guess when RFoG does get "upgraded"/replaced, for the OP it'll just be a case of removing the ONU and swapping it with a hub 5x, whereas I guess they'll have to blow new fibre for us to replace the coax?

It's all very interesting indeed!

TV, Phone and Broadband using the Hub 3.0 in modem mode, with a Newifi D2 running Openwrt (FTTP/RFoG).