cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5 - Upstream levels

Guybrush85
Rising star

Hi all,

So I have received my hub 5 today, plugged it in, got setup and flipped straight into modem mode. 

I'm on a gig 1 connection and via port 4 on the hub into an Asus AX86 doing the speedtest directly on the router, I'm getting 1148 and 54 upload on the 2.5Gbit port - all sounds good so far.

After things settled a little I went check out hub stats and the upstream doesn't look right. 

Status page - What is ranged? 😕

Acquired Downstream Channel(Hz)330000000Locked
Ranged Upstream Channel(Hz)53700000Ranged
Provisioning StateOnlineOperational

Downstream all 3.0 channels looks fine and in spec, although there's no visibility of the DOCSIS 3.1 channel anywhere.

Upstream - why am I at QAM32?

15370000040.35120QAM 3210
24620000039.85120QAM 3211
33940000039.35120QAM 3212
43260000039.35120QAM 3213

Lastly the network logs:

29-11-2021 17:24:21errorDHCP RENEW WARNING - Field invalid in response v4 option;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
29-11-2021 17:08:50noticeCM-STATUS message sent. Event Type Code: 5; Chan ID: 159; DSID: N/A; MAC Addr: N/A; OFDM/OFDMA Profile ID: N/A.;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
29-11-2021 17:08:30noticeREGISTRATION COMPLETE - Waiting for Operational status
29-11-2021 17:08:25warningRNG-RSP CCAP Commanded Power in Excess of 6 dB Below the Value Corresponding to the Top of the DRW;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
29-11-2021 17:08:25warningDynamic Range Window violation
29-11-2021 17:08:25warningDynamic Range Window violation
29-11-2021 17:08:25warningRNG-RSP CCAP Commanded Power in Excess of 6 dB Below the Value Corresponding to the Top of the DRW;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
29-11-2021 17:08:24warningREG-RSP-MP Mismatch Between Calculated Value for P1.6hi Compared to CCAP Provided Value;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
29-11-2021 17:08:19noticeDS profile assignment change. DS Chan ID: 32; Previous Profile: ; New Profile: 1 2 3.;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
29-11-2021 17:07:51criticalDHCP FAILED - Discover sent, no offer received;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
29-11-2021 17:07:41criticalDHCP FAILED - Discover sent, no offer received;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
29-11-2021 17:07:36criticalDHCP FAILED - Critical field invalid in response ;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
29-11-2021 17:07:35criticalDHCP FAILED - Discover sent, no offer received;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
29-11-2021 17:07:28criticalDHCP FAILED - Critical field invalid in response ;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
29-11-2021 17:07:27criticalDHCP FAILED - Discover sent, no offer received;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
29-11-2021 17:07:25criticalDHCP FAILED - Critical field invalid in response ;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
29-11-2021 17:07:24criticalDHCP FAILED - Discover sent, no offer received;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
29-11-2021 17:07:24criticalDHCP FAILED - Critical field invalid in response ;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
29-11-2021 17:07:16criticalDHCP FAILED - Critical field invalid in response ;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
29-11-2021 17:07:15criticalDHCP FAILED - Discover sent, no offer received;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
29-11-2021 17:07:15noticeTLV-11 - unrecognized OID;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
29-11-2021 17:07:12warningDHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response ;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
29-11-2021 17:07:11criticalDHCP FAILED - Critical field invalid in response ;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
29-11-2021 17:07:10noticeHonoring MDD; IP provisioning mode = IPv4
29-11-2021 17:07:06criticalSYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing;;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
29-11-2021 17:06:56criticalSYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing;;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
29-11-2021 16:41:34criticalSYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing;;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
29-11-2021 16:41:32criticalREG-RSP - invalid format or not recognized;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
--------------------------------------------------------
Look behind you, a three-headed monkey
30 REPLIES 30

I'm not contesting the DHCP information with the logs. Everyone seems to be missing the simple point I am making about why I kept the same IP when I swapped hubs or doesn't seem to understand the DHCP handshake. I'm simply saying that if you swap hubs but keep the same 3rd party device in modem mode, you will get the same IP if the DHCP lease hasn't expired and that's due to the MAC address the 3rd party router being sent to the CMTS (DHCP server) in DHCP Discover. It's the 3rd party routers MAC that will be assigned to the WAN address within the CMTS DHCP client table.

Some ISPs don't allow you to use the MAC of the 3rd party router, which is why ASUS and other router manufactures allow you to clone the MAC address from your ISP device.

Little chronological order of events in November on my VM account:

5th November - I swapped hub 3 to hub 4. The 3rd party router stays the same. When I put the hub 4 into modem mode I was assigned the same IP I had on the hub 3 in modem mode.

12th November - I swapped out the 3rd party router. Hub stays the same. My IP changes (as reflect in the fact my BQM says new router in the title)

Yesterday - I swapped the hub 4 to the hub 5 - 3rd party router stays the same. When I put the hub 5 into modem mode I was assigned the same IP I had on the hub 4 in modem mode.

@Guybrush85, 

Thank you for this post, I too am on 1 gig and been invited to get a hub 5 but as yet not heard anything back.

Your post gives me hope that I may actually get one, as most people on the forums seem adamant that its not available to 1 gig subbers.

I was seriously thinking about buying a 10g router to bind the wan together on my hub 4, but after your post I think I will give it another few weeks.

No probs bud - will keep the post updated if I find any issues and the BQM is still live (in the signature, need to make it a live link/image).

@Guybrush85 

For what it's worth, you are right about the WAN IP being dependent on the MAC address being presented, so, same third party router, different hubs in modem mode and you'll get the same IP address.

The logs do look a bit of a mess at first glance, but DOCSIS modems on startup run through an entire long list of operations, they need to listen to the data being sent along the cable and work out what they are connected to and which channels they need to listen on for configuration information, then they need to configure the connection, then make required adjustments, then start doing all the IP addressing and routing info etc.

The whole thing does look like a complete mess but they get there in the end. But until all of this is done there will be an entire slew of 'critical' errors and messages which is all normal as things just haven't got themselves into a functional state yet.

It does look as if the Hub 5 is much more verbose in what it logs on startup, if you take a look at the log you posted earlier, all of those errors etc. all happen within the space of less than two minutes until it finally logs that it has managed to register itself properly and is just waiting to come fully online - so the startup process hadn't actually completed then, but it's nearly there. I do suspect that as the Hub 5 becomes more widely rolled out, we'll be seeing quite a few posts on here from people seeing all these 'errors' etc. and assuming that there is something badly wrong.

Your earlier BQM did look a little spikey but nothing too badly off, the upstream QAM will adjust itself up and down to compensate for noise issues which is how it is designed to work.

John

Thanks John.

Ultimately I think think you're right as as I've not seen any further logs since boot, but will continue to monitor and feed into the thread should anything change. As I'd not seen any of these logs before, I went to research them like I'm sure most would and although I don't recall finding posts on any VM forums, I found a number on US/EU cable forums.

I found some posts on a netgear forum (some US ISPs allow you BYOD router as I'm sure most know) that suggested they only started seeing these logs when moving on Netgear router X, which support the more verbose logging on some routers. Either way, they weren't directly comparable as the posters were experiencing issues, so nothing I could hang my hat on.

I had come 2 hypothesis, but leaning more towards 1:

1. Exactly what you have said in that, this may just be the new norm (or to be more granular, the new norm on my CMTS type at least (believed to be a cBR-8) when that at boot up you are likely to see these messages within the logs. Would need to see logs from other hub 5 users to support the theory.

2. Some configuration upstream had not been completed to support the hub on my CMTS. 

The hub has performed fine today with the BQM looking better than yesterday and upstream staying at QAM 64, so hopeful that's that sorted.

Couple of notes to add onto here so they're not missed. Downstream levels in the hub have DOCSIS 3.1 information missing, there may be a page you can visit to get this info, but for example the /getRouterStatus page doesn't work (despite the firmware looking to be based on the hub 3)

Also the samknows speedtest that was baked into the hub 4 doesn't work (tested in router mode before anyone asks), which is probably not surprising as the firmware is based on the hub 3. 

yakacm
On our wavelength

So what are the DHCP errors? I have just got Hub5 yesterday, as I am having issues with my work laptop dropping connection on a regular basis, and checking the Network Log today I am seeing those DHCP errors. Thing is I didn't look at the logs when I had the Hub4 so god knows if I was getting those errors before.

Greenpalmer
Dialled in

I upgraded to a Hub 5 last week and have just seen this post so checked my upstream stats and have been quite surprised to see that the modulation is QAM16. Does this mean there is a fault or problem?

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Fault. Report it.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Hi @Greenpalmer.

Thanks for reaching out to us. I have had at the statistics you have provided, if you would like a private chat, look out for the envelope on the top right of your browser, or if you are using a mobile device it will be located under your profile icon. And then we just need to go through a few details to gain account access. 

Sabrina

A Virgin technician (Jean) visited yesterday, as arranged by Sabrina_B, and he seems to have found and fixed the problem - a defective connector outside the house. So far everything is now looking good.