Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3 in modem mode probs out of the box

Got connected yesterday, except that I got the M200 connection instead of the M350 one that I ordered. Fibre optic was laid in the street and coax comes from a box on the side of the house.

This is an issue that VM needs to sort out. The first thing I did was to select modem mode as I have a very nice router (Asus RT-AC86U). The router (reconfigured for the connection from PPPoE to Auto IP) would not connect. Kept on getting "DHCP not working properly" (or similar) no matter what I did.

The ONLY thing to fix this was to press the reset button for 40 seconds. I ready this somewhere else from somebody else had issues with this, but not out of the box as I did as he had been a customer for a while.

Now just to get the connection I ordered...

Cheers

DrT

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3 in modem mode probs out of the box

Not speaking from experience since I don't have the awful Hub 3 but I seem to remember reading that when used in modem mode with a third party router like the Asus, the boot-up sequence is important.  Someone shoot me down if I've got this the wrong way round but I think you need to get the Hub 3 in modem mode then power it off.  Make your connections to the Asus and then power up the Asus until it is fully up and running.  Then power up the Hub 3 again whereupon it should find the Asus.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

My information is that since the last firmware upgrade, the startup order is not critical. I assume that as the Huib 3 was connected to the network for several hours before I stated to use my connection, that it had the latest firmware.

I did try various start orders and different LAN ports on the hub for a good while before I tried the 40 sec trick.

Cheers

DrT

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Do VM acknowledge that they have you on the incorrect package?
If they say you are - can you post up the "configurations data" from the Hub settings in "router status" - that will show what your maximum speeds are set to.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I ordered the M350 package via a charming VM sales woman. My portal says that I am on the M200 package. I have sent her a text. She did manage to sort out changing my title from "Mr" to "Dr" a hack of a lot easier than trying to do it via VM support.

The router also confirms this.

I texted her last night so assume that she will pick up her work phone tomorrow and help sort it out. She is absolutely amazing and a credit to VM!

Grazie,

DrT

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@DrTeeth wrote:

My information is that since the last firmware upgrade, the startup order is not critical. I assume that as the Huib 3 was connected to the network for several hours before I stated to use my connection, that it had the latest firmware.

it most certainly is still critical to get the order correct.

Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

If she was "amazing and a credit to VM", she would have sorted/corrected your Hub config file.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I always thought that in modem mode, you use the bottom port, nearest the coax ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superstar
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Disconnect the Asus, plug in a laptop or PC and see if you are actually getting broadband.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

As per the OP, the problem is fixed.

0 Kudos