cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having issue set up internet for a new build

Hichel95
Joining in

Hi there,

We’re due to move into our new build home in a few days (built by strata) and the builders have told us virgin media cable has been layed and virgin media is the only internet we can get.

We’ve tried to ring VM to help us set up the WIFI but they kept telling us we can’t get VM internet and they don’t have our address in the system and there’s nothing they could do.

could you please help us out on this? Since we’re both working from home with jobs that require a good internet connection we will be unable to work and may lose income. 

6 REPLIES 6

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Is this a new build estate - or a one off build?

If you have access can you post up some photos of the internal wall boxes/connectors that are fitted inside the house and also any externally mounted VM "omnibox" - usually grey or brown.

Do any of the neighbours already have a VM connection ?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

761F0E4F-0678-48F7-AC1A-C5902682ED76.jpeg

Hi John,

It is part of a larger development, if you have an email I can forward you the plans for the internet installation that was overseen by a VM site planner.

We are not on site as of yet so we cannot provide photos however I can confirm that we do have an internal port with the virgin infinity-esque logo on it. No omnibox however the wires contained within protrude from our wall. Site manager states that VM typically affix the brown/grey box.

We have been informed that neighbours (1 Hutton Road) on our site are awaiting their box but have had no issue setting up an account.

We have also been told that VM already have supplied the street opposite (boggart hill gardens) for many years and that the local box on the street was moved over so that our development could be included.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Right ok. Looks like it is progressing - albeit only VM can comment on their time scales for connecting you - although I have to say it doesn't look to be imminent !

All i ca offer is some generic advice. Re time scale call the "Pre-installation and delivery team" on.. 0800 052 1734. - they may have more info?  Or a VM person should help here in a day or so when they get here

In the meantime - prepare for no connectivity on the day you move in and scan the various Mobile networks postcode scanners - for ones that can offer you a 4G/5G service - perhaps on a 30-day contract? or a 4G/5G service - perhaps on a 30-day contract? e.g. Three have a 30day 4G unlimited package for ~£20.

Will get you online at least

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi there @Hichel95

Thank you so much for your first post and welcome to our community forums! It's great to have you on board! 

I'm so sorry to hear that you have faced this confusion when trying to sign up with us!

I'd be more than happy to check availability in this area, I will pop you a PM now so we can check.

Please keep an eye out for the purple envelope in the top right corner of your screen alerting you to a new message.

Thank you.

Jonny-M
Fibre optic

If this is a new build then you should have Openreach fibre available as well, with an ONT installed on the wall and ready to go.

Christy_D
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Hichel95 

I just wanted to thank you again for your patience on getting our services installed at your property. 

Have you managed to get this resolved now or do you still require assistance on this?

Many thanks,

Christy

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more