cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finding PIN for 4g backup dongle

jckn
Just joined

Happy New Year!
My huawei mobile dongle that came as part of my 4g back up package is asking for a PIN and I don’t know where to find it - help!

Thank you.

6 REPLIES 6

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @jckn 

The default pin should be either 0000 or 1234

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Default PIN for a Virgin Mobile SIM is 7890
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

Molly_T
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @jckn, welcome to the community! Thank you for posting. 

Were you able to try the responses in the thread? Hopefully one of them worked for you. 

Let us know if you still require support and we will do our best to help. 

All the best. 

Molly

chermie
On our wavelength

Hi, I just upgraded my Virgin Media business package to Voom 800 a few days ago. Experienced by frequent recent outages, I've also ordered a 4G backup dongle. A couple of days after the upgrade, there was a severe internet outage in my area. I hoped my 4G backup would kick in, but it didn't happen. I called technical support, and they told me that it would only kick in if the connection to their network could not be established. Otherwise, when there's "just" no internet problem, the 4G would not kick in. I think this is a scam as I need the internet to do my work, which is why I ordered that 4G backup dongle.

I have another router I use (Synology), which is more clever than the Virgin one and can use the mobile connection when there's no internet. I tried to connect that dongle to my Synology router, which recognises it, but the SIM card is PIN protected. I tried that 7890 PIN suggested above, but with no luck.

Does anyone know what that PIN might be?

Many thanks in advance and kind regards.

Peter.

I have also just moved to VMB, as far as i can gather the SIM PIN must be random, and only the config on the Hitron router knows what it is.

I have found after being lied to by virgin media that indeed it does NOT kick in when the Hitron router is in modem mode, as it has no means to, the dongle would need to be in your own router in that scenario, but you cant as its got the PIN... but it may well fail over fine in Router mode (if the sim is connecting ok)

No one at virgin seems to understand this and it does seem rather scammy of them, seems they are all told to say "it will in an outage" but dont seem to realise that pulling the coax out is the same as an outage, and the problem is that it just doesnt work in modem mode, at all.

You could, in an outage, switch back to router mode and have config ready to apply (if it doesnt hold it between modes) to get around the double NAT the best you can. Alternatively, get VM to cancel the SIM part of your deal as its clearly useless to anyone using a business connection, because who on earth uses the ISP's router? its not even nicely rackmountable...

Keep the Huawei USB and stick it in your own router with your own sim card in it.

Personally, ill think ill be on the phone to them soon getting rid of this useless sim, clearly they just want to get their sim issueing numbers up with 02 now they are in business with them.

chermie
On our wavelength

Hey @M890089, 

Many thanks for your reply. Well, I have a static IP address, and because of that, I can't even use their Hitron router in modem mode. This is ridiculous. Even if I use it in router mode, the backup 4G doesn't kick in when the internet is down. I've been told it won't kick in until there's an uplink or downlink fault. Of course, I could unplug the coaxial cable in case the internet is down, but how would I know it's back? The 4G backup in this form is utterly useless to me. I think I will give them a call and cancel it. 

I'm very disappointed 😞