cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failed installation

Juniper24
Tuning in

Cancelled my Sky services to move to Virgin but have had 2 failed installations due to external cabling required. Now booked again for 13th but still no cable so will no doubt be moved again. Can’t get an answer from anyone if it’s even been ordered. It’s a frustrating and extremely annoying start. I have no internet and work from home so relying on my phone data . I’ve spoken to numerous people , some say it’s ordered, others say it isn’t, others put the phone down. I’ve emailed, phoned, whatspped and tweeted and still have no answer. I honestly wish I hadn’t changed now 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Unfortunately this happens too often with VM. They use 3rd party contractors for this sort of work, and it can drag on at times.  Usual advice would be to have kept your Sky running until after VM was installed and for the 14 day cooling of period, but that's not much consolation now.

Have you considered a 4/5G 30 day contract Router?  I think 3 are doing one at the moment for a reasonable cost and it will get you over the waiting period.

If you wait here a day or two a VM Mod will be along to discuss.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Unfortunately this happens too often with VM. They use 3rd party contractors for this sort of work, and it can drag on at times.  Usual advice would be to have kept your Sky running until after VM was installed and for the 14 day cooling of period, but that's not much consolation now.

Have you considered a 4/5G 30 day contract Router?  I think 3 are doing one at the moment for a reasonable cost and it will get you over the waiting period.

If you wait here a day or two a VM Mod will be along to discuss.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Unfortunately this is a very common complaint.  People trust Virginmedia to install on the promised date and then they are let down. It shouldn't happen but it does.

Is it possible to get your Sky connection reinstated for a month or two?

(crossed with Adduxi) 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Juniper24 wrote:

Cancelled my Sky services to move to Virgin but have had 2 failed installations due to external cabling required. Now booked again for 13th but still no cable so will no doubt be moved again. Can’t get an answer from anyone if it’s even been ordered. It’s a frustrating and extremely annoying start. I have no internet and work from home so relying on my phone data . I’ve spoken to numerous people , some say it’s ordered, others say it isn’t, others put the phone down. I’ve emailed, phoned, whatspped and tweeted and still have no answer. I honestly wish I hadn’t changed now 

Keep detailed records (in a timeline format) of all VM's failures so that you are awarded appropriate compensation for the delays in installation

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0026/216962/Industry-Code-of-Practice-for-Automatic-...

with up to date rates here

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/costs-and-billing/automat...

David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for your post on our Community Forms @Juniper24, and a very warm welcome to you!

Sorry to hear of the previously failed installation attempts.

Do please keep us updated with the work that is due to take place on the 13th, and if this date passes without the install taking place, we'll be able to assist you further.

Kindest regards,

David

Thanks David, 

I’ve heard nothing and I believe the outside engineer is supposed to contact you before they come so it’s clear 13th will come and the installer will arrive again to leave straight away because the outside cable hasn’t been done . I will confirm this on Monday 

Thanks for coming back to us Juniper24 and I hope that the work can be carried out on Monday. Please do keep us updated on this and we hope to hear good news from Monday.

Kind Regards,

Steven_L

Engineer just left . Luckily we got a little gem called George who managed to find a cable in the road and turn it on at the box and basically set it up for us so thanks to him we are now installed 

How do you contact complaints? They’ve told me in writing following my complaint that they are very sorry for my failed installations and the reasons clearly are all their fault as they admitted but haven’t offered me any compensation. aside from £20 goodwill gesture. They actually wrote they couldn’t afford any more! I was led to believe I would be compensated £5 per day I had no service. The complaints letter tells me to call 0345 454 1111 if I’m not happy but that’s just a general number with no option to discuss a complaint . I’m going round in circles which appears to be what they do best . Surely if the complaints team are dealing with an official complaint you should be able to speak to them directly 

Anonymous
Not applicable

The forum team may help with a deadlock letter (If not the compo).  Then take the very well worn path to Ombudsman Services.

https://www.ombudsman-services.org/