cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exposed cable in my garden

PalNahal
Joining in

Hello All

I have just moved house; when I cleared out the previous residents shed from the back garden I noticed an exposed green plastic pipe containing a black cable sticking out about 50cm from the ground.  Its sticking out for about 2.5m and not able to be pushed down (see pictures).  It is coming from the pavement exterior to the house and runs down the side of the house and then out of the ground to a cable box attached to the house (I do not know if it is serving any other properties)

After doing a bit of googling I determined this is probably a Cable and Wirless (now Virgin Media) cable.

When this was installed they obviously didn't do a good job as they thought because this is behind the shed there is no need to bury the cable!

I've just moved into the property and not a customer of VM, how do I get them to come and inspect the pipe/cable? Its obviously a safety hazard sticking out so far from the ground. 

Exposed cable - Never buriedExposed cable - Never buriedExposed cable - Never buriedExposed cable - Never buried

4 REPLIES 4

mda99das
Up to speed

Its ducting, the actual coaxial cable is inside.

Do you have any plans for that shed space?

I would just bury it, its not a voltage line.

Hey, thanks for the response. 

My issue is that the garden level will be coming down and the ducting is already inflexible as it’s arching up, I doubt it can my forced down as it is. 

I’m not comfortable with burying it myself especially as it was obviously a lazy botch job by the original installer. 

Just rip it out. There is no voltage going through the cable. Or you can wait months for virgin to do sod all about it as your not a customer and couldnt care less about you. 

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @PalNahal,

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post your issue on the forums.

I'm sorry for the issues that you're experiencing with your new home and the exposed cabling, I would be happy to take a further look into this for you but would need to confirm a few details via private message, please look out for my message and we can get started.

Regards,
Steven_L