cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ethernet cable extensions to router

NikiC87
Joining in

Hi,

Is there a good Ethernet cable extension to allow more hard wire cables to be connected to the router? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Yes, I think you are talking about an unmanaged switch.  These come with 4 or more ports and allow you to have more cable connections. They are plug and play and need no configuration. Just make sure it is a Gigabit switch. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

15 REPLIES 15

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Yes, I think you are talking about an unmanaged switch.  These come with 4 or more ports and allow you to have more cable connections. They are plug and play and need no configuration. Just make sure it is a Gigabit switch. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Connecting additional cables to the hub, you mean?  If so what you need is the complex sounding "unmanaged gigabit ethernet switch", but in reality it's just a box that connects to one ethernet port and then allows you to connect another four (or more if you buy a larger switch).  TP-Link do a decent metal cased version that has four outgoing ports for around fifteen quid, I use one of those.  This can be put adjacent to the hub, or on the end of long ethernet cable if that makes more sense.  There's no setup or complication, you just plug it in and it works.

The only thing to allow for is that it comes with its own small power supply, so you'll need a spare wall socket or extension for power.  

Client62
Hero

There are many brand offering products similar to these...

NETGEAR 8 Port Gigabit Network Switch GS308

TP-Link TL-SG1008D, 8 Port Gigabit Ethernet Network Switch

Thank you.

I have a to link one I’ve borrowed but when connected to the router , the router stops working and then I have nothing. 

taken it out and router works. Problem is my sky upstairs keeps dropping out of Wi-Fi and stops working. 
would a tp link power line plug work okay? 

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What is the model of tp-link you have? 

This is the one I have

To link 5 port gigabyte Ethernet switch 

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Is it unmanaged? Can you give the exact model number please?

if it is unmanaged then just plug a Cat 5e or Cat 6 cable from the Hub into the switch. That will leave 4 other ports for use.  It will not give out any WiFi as it’s just a switch. 

Model TL-SG105 

S/N 22292Y2001459 

ver: 6.0