cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Depth of socket?

stuffmaster2k
Joining in

I’m having Virgin Media installed at the end of this week, and I’m planning the best place for the socket and router to go.

I have a small gap between the external wall and a freestanding alcove unit, which would be ideal if I can be sure it’s enough space. 

Could anyone provide a measurement for the space required for the socket please?

4 REPLIES 4

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

I think the VM wall socket isn't too different from the size of an Openreach phone socket. More to the point is whether you have an electrical socket to power the hub and any other devices.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Thanks for the reply on this, after a little more digging and measuring I think the problem I’m going to have is the part that ‘sticks out’ from the backing plate to plug the cable into.

I’ve attached an image to explain, I’m assuming that these are the type fitted as standard now? In my old property there was a flatter unit with a cable hanging out of it that I think I could have gotten away with in the space.

Plug sockets aren’t a problem thankfully, there’s a double socket on the opposite side of the unit, and all the wiring can be hidden behind if all goes to plan.

9C63D1A6-255E-4FE2-9D93-BD632B5A29CF.jpeg

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Older style sockets are slightly deeper than the new ones and the cable egress is on the bottom not the front. Possibly the technician will have one of the old style on his van.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Ok thanks, that’s potentially promising. At a push I have 4cm to work with, so it might just be enough for the old style if they’re still around.

Worst case I could have the install a bit further over with a longer cable, but with a toddler in the house who loves nothing more than unplugging things, out of sight would be preferable.