Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Depth of cable under pavement

The pavement in front of my property is about to be relaid in tarmac, involving excavating to a depth of approx no more 10 cm.At one corner there is the end of an exposed green plastic pipe..I believe the VM cable then runs along my boundary to a box at the base of the house wall.

At the opposite corner there are 2 black cables exposed for about 15cm which I assume are supplying the house next door.

We are in a close of 6 houses, my property is at the head of the close.

The tarmac in front of my house is original old council green with no sign of a trench having been dug,unlike the rest of the close which seems to have a trench dug and relaid in black tarmac.

1- Is it likely that the cable has been laid "around" the close to houses on my left and right ,and not across the front of my drive? Ie not in a continuous loop?

2-If the cable does cross the front of my drive,how deep is it likely to have been buried? I don't want to risk damaging the cable.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Hero
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Depth of cable under pavement

Virgin Media and its predecessor companies installed cabling in various ways over the past 30 years and more. However you'll typically find that each property has a dedicated cable pulled from the cabinet through the ducting and emerging from the pavement tee, with this done when the first person living in the property subscribes to cable service.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that but I really need to know how deep I can expect to find the cable,surely there is a standard?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Your guess is as good as mine, there are some good installers and some very bad. Even if it should be at a certain given depth, there is no guarantee that it is.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Cabling outside properties is in a duct, you don't have bare cables underneath roads and pavements.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

A few more details would help.

I mean for the first one, why do you care? Its the constructors responsibilty?

Unless you have comissioned work to re-lay the pavement (which seems unlikely) , its a no brainer. Leave it to the professionals. Only case I can see where it might be your issue is a dropped curb.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

For the OP, some guidance on current standards is found on page 10 in the document below

http://streetworks.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/VOL-1-reviewed.pdf

As others have mentioned though, there is no guarantee the actual installation in your road will comply with the above. I imagine it would depend on the age of each service installation and how much space was available in the pavement when each was installed.

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks Goslow, very useful.

Kippies, I care because I'm doing the repair myself- because;

1- I've been asking the council to do it for 3 years since the postman twisted his ankle.

2- Contractors want £1k to 2k to relay 10 square meters.

3- I'm quite capable, I simply asked a polite question to ensure I didn't damage anything.

The site is now dug out safely and awaiting tarmac.

Stay Safe

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that. You owe me a new monitor as I  spat coffee over this one whilst reading your reply.

YOU are undertaking repairs to the public hichway because the council didnt ? And they have already had one injury because of it?

I dont know whether to call you a saint or an eejit, Ill go for saint in the interim.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Not prepared to wait another 3 years, the council "have other priorities" .
St Paul sounds good!
Take Care