cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delaying Port in of old Landlne number for a few days after Virgin Router Install ?

JonnyG14
Dialled in

I am transferring my broadband and phone to Virgin Media from BT.  However I need to have both my BT broadband router and Virgin broadband router running concurrently for a couple of days to transfer all my Wi-Fi security cameras over to Virgin Router.  They need to be logged in to BT to enable the swap to Virgin Router.  However BT will cancel all my services when Virgin give them the port in date for my phone (they already have!).  Is it possible to delay the port in of my landline number for a day or two and give BT that later date as that seems to be the date BT take as disconnection ? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you change the SSID and password of the virgin hub to the exact same name as the BT hub wouldn't that mean you wouldn't have to set up your cameras and they would continue to work?

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

12 REPLIES 12

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you change the SSID and password of the virgin hub to the exact same name as the BT hub wouldn't that mean you wouldn't have to set up your cameras and they would continue to work?

Thanks, yes that should work if it's possible to do with the Virgin Hub4.

I have done similar before when upgrading the BT Hub and it worked fine for all devices.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

That assumes of course that the Virgin Hub has the same WiFi coverage as the BT one. It may not be as they are not noted for wide coverage 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

I am going for the Ultimate Volt 1gb package so would I get free Virgin Media WiFi Pods if there are any weak WiFi areas ?

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

You could use the pods, but there are better solutions. You may be lucky and find the Hub does the job, I just wanted to drop in a note of caution. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If pods are free I'd reccomend them over spending more money 

Quote from the Ulimate Volt package :-

"Volt Benefits unlocked :-

• Supercharged mobile data and broadband speed
  • WiFi Pods at no extra cost if you find any WiFi blackspots at home and get Intelligent WiFi Plus"

"Our super-smart Intelligent WiFi Plus service includes all-new WiFi Pods, which pack in next-level mesh WiFi for better coverage and faster speeds, all around the house. It’s our most reliable browsing, gaming and show-streaming power, right where you want it. Get it all for just £5 a month - or on the house with Ultimate Oomph, Gig1 or one of our Volt packages."

Looks like we get the Hub 4 on install at the moment,  as this is known to be compatable with the Wi-Fi hubs.  We should then get a free upgrade to the Hub 5 once they have fully tested it for phones and wifi pods.

@JonnyG14 and what makes you think you will get a ‘free’ upgrade to a Hub 5. VM will provide whatever equipment works and can deliver the service you have subscribed to. If and when VM decide that they want to phase out the 4 in favour of the 5 then fair enough, but please, don’t assume that this will happen short term.

If you read my post I said "should" not "will". 

I got the info from Virgin Media themselves :-

Quote from their website :-

"Back in October we announced the launch of the new Hub 5 and we’ll be offering this to customers at no extra cost as part of a phased rollout."

Also from Virgin Medial website  :-

"How to get a Hub upgrade

If you become a Gig1 Fibre Broadband customer customer, you have the option to upgrade your router to an even faster WiFi Hub, at no extra cost! Serving up average download speeds of over 1Gbps, it’s built to deliver incredible levels of speed and connectivity.

To request a Hub swap or upgrade, simply use the Virgin Media Connect app or sign in on the My Virgin Media app to find out if you’re eligible. You can also check eligibility using the link below."