cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delayed installation

Steven005
Joining in

I am looking for advice as I am getting nowhere on the phone with Virgin regarding my installation and set up of broadband and TV. 

My installation was due on the 18th Oct but Virgin delayed it to the 3rd and now to the 18th Nov. Initially on the phone when I signed up I was told I would get daily compensation if they changed or delayed installation. Now I have been told I am not entitled to any daily compensation. I have had to pay out for interim internet which is expensive. 

The service and communication from Virgin has been extremely poor. I have been put on hold and had the call hung up. 

Any advice would be helpful.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Read through the reply from jem101 here

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Install-date-cancelled-and-rescheduled-3-...

ref compensation. It applies from the first installation date (when you were first told in writing that the technician would arrive to install your equipment and activate your services, when you first placed your order). Read the OFCOM minimum requirements doc here

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0026/216962/Industry-Code-of-Practice-for-Automatic-...

VM has invented the idea of a 'provisional' installation date and some other malarkey about 'one or two person installation teams' supposedly allowing VM to shift the dates around to avoid paying compensation. There are some specific and limited conditions when VM can legitimately avoid paying but the above two do not appear in the OFCOM doc.

Keep good records of all info/comm's from VM esp. to do with dates/times of visits (inc. failed visits and no-shows). In all likelihood you will end up having escalate to CISAS for arbitration if VM sticks with its non-payment line. You would be due payment (by way of a credit) within 30 days of when you do actually get installed.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Read through the reply from jem101 here

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Install-date-cancelled-and-rescheduled-3-...

ref compensation. It applies from the first installation date (when you were first told in writing that the technician would arrive to install your equipment and activate your services, when you first placed your order). Read the OFCOM minimum requirements doc here

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0026/216962/Industry-Code-of-Practice-for-Automatic-...

VM has invented the idea of a 'provisional' installation date and some other malarkey about 'one or two person installation teams' supposedly allowing VM to shift the dates around to avoid paying compensation. There are some specific and limited conditions when VM can legitimately avoid paying but the above two do not appear in the OFCOM doc.

Keep good records of all info/comm's from VM esp. to do with dates/times of visits (inc. failed visits and no-shows). In all likelihood you will end up having escalate to CISAS for arbitration if VM sticks with its non-payment line. You would be due payment (by way of a credit) within 30 days of when you do actually get installed.

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Steven005, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the Forums. It's great having you on board with us in the Community. 

We're sorry to hear there has been a delay in installing your services. We understand this can be frustrating but unfortunately delays do happen on occasions due to the way we provide our network to our customers. The teams will already be working hard to complete the necessary works to allow the install to go ahead. 

In terms of the automatic compensation, this is worked out and assessed automatically. It looks at the reason for the delay, the dates things were updated on the account and if there were any missed appointments. There isn't any agent input on this and is all worked out based on the criteria set out by OFCOM. 

Missed appointments are assessed for credit when the appointment is changed however the delayed install credits aren't assessed until the installation has been completed. It's worth noting though that any install date we give you is only provisional until the pre-install visit is complete. If any additional engineering work is required in order to provide the service – such as the premises to our network, it may require third party permissions or permits outside of our control. If this is the case then we have to change the provisional activation date and this will not trigger a credit under the scheme. The £5.25 only comes in to affect if we've completed any work and given a confirmed date. As you've not been installed yet, the account would not have been assessed yet so we'd be unable to advise whether you are eligible. 

You can read more about the automatic compensation scheme here

If you have any further queries, please let us know. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

"The £5.25 only comes in to affect if we've completed any work and given a confirmed date."

There is no way to find out if you have "completed any work", you give us a date and then cancel at the last minute after we have already booked time off of work.

I have now had 4 missed appointments over 3 months.

Are you telling me that I am not due compensation as YOU did not do the necessary work, then did not bother to tell me?

I have another appointment on Wednesday are YOU going to bother to "do any work" this time?

WHY DO YOU NOT DO THE WORK?

Why do you not tell us till the last minute when you were too incompetent to "do any work"?

Is 3 months not enogh time to "do any work"? 

There is one of your cables literally outside of my windows.

@newcustabc1 wrote:

"The £5.25 only comes in to affect if we've completed any work and given a confirmed date."

There is no way to find out if you have "completed any work", you give us a date and then cancel at the last minute after we have already booked time off of work.

<snip>

As mentioned at #2, unlucky customers being messed about by VM during installations will, most likely, have to take their claim to CISAS for arbitration and a decision while VM continues to talk about 'provisional' installation dates. There is no mention of such a thing in the OFCOM minimum standards document.

The whole point of the compensation scheme is to make sure that VM gives a reliable date, when the customer places an order, as to when the service will be installed/activated. A customer may actually make a choice of VM over another provider if VM's offered installation date is much quicker than another provider offering the same services.

If the moveable installation date claim was actually 'a thing' then VM would never have to pay out any compensation as VM could simply just keep moving the installation date forever. From the OFCOM doc

9. Subject to paragraph 40 (exclusions), a Communications Provider must pay automatic compensation to a customer if it does not activate a customer’s fixed line or broadband service by 11.59pm on the date initially confirmed in writing with that customer.

key word being 'initially' and no mention of the word 'provisional'.

VM can mess about with the pre-install dates as they wish as that should not inconvenience the customer too much as it is external work.

VM can also make legitimate deductions for things outside its control (such as waiting for wayleave agreements and council permits) but the deductions are limited exclusively to those sorts of delays. Customers may have to do their own research to find out how long some of these delays are in reality as past topics on here have suggested VM use these too often as a cover-all excuse.

So, the pre-install date to run in the cable might be moved but the initial installation date in writing to install equipment and activate services is fixed. If that fixed date is missed VM has to pay up but may make legitimate deductions for things outside of its control (para 40 from the OFCOM doc).

The above is my take on the processes and requirements. Can't recall any detailed feedback on here from any unlucky customers who have actually gone through the arbitration process and ended up with a good/correct settlement once it had been shown VM's 'interpretation' of the rules was not in line with the OFCOM description of the same thing. Some direct feedback and outcomes from some actual cases would be interesting to hear.

Kath, can you please confirm how one would know if their appointment was only provisional?

Nothing I have been given has ever mentioned this word.

Does it just become "provisional" after they failed to turn up?

I have an appointment booked for Wednesday. How do I know if this is "provisional" or not?

Been 24 hours with no reply now.

Can someone from the forum team please answer my questions in the post above?

How do I know if my appointment on Wednesday is "provisional" or not? 

Same as my last 2 tries:

How do I know if my appointment on Wednesday is "provisional" or not?