Menu
geoff4747
Tuning in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Connecting second tivo box

Hello everyone

Really not tech savvy so please keep it simple.

Long story so will not bore you, but because of a problem with a smart tv upstairs, after being online for five hours trying to sort it out with Virgin they sent me a Tivo box to connect to the tv upstairs. I was given the impression I just had to plug in and it would connect via WiFi all on its own. However from what I've read its not that simple!!

Have the hub and first Tivo box connected downstairs.

Any help gratefully received

thanks

geoff

0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Connecting second tivo box

nope you need a coax cable and a subscription.

If you are adding the second box you will need a VM installer to install a new VM coax point at the tv

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

The Tivo TV Box does not need a separate internet connection, it uses the co-ax cable to connect to everything.

The V6 TV Box requires the co-ax cable plus either a Wi-Fi connection or ethernet connection to connect to the internet.

Which ever TV Box you got it will need to be activated by calling in to VM.

tivo-v6

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

So, what it sounds like is you have a problem with a TV that is not connected to a Virgin box, but I assume has problems with the SMART features. Why would they send you a TV box to fix a fault with a TV that is not using Virgin services (apart from the connection to your hub, which is likely the problem).

I hope they haven’t sold you a multiroom box (they cost £10 more a month, & need manned installation as a coax point has to be installed). This also will not solve the problem with your SMART TV.

I will escalate this to the Staff team but you may be waiting a while for a response.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
geoff4747
Tuning in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for all your quick replies.

Yes Nodroge, you are correct it is a problem with the Smart tv and I have to say i didn't think a new Tivo box would help but the lady on the online helpline said they would send one. I presumed it was to connect to the upstairs tv so we could watch Netflix, Youtube BBCi player,etc on our virgin account. She didn't say anything about a multiroom box or any charges.

Again thanks for your quick replies

Geoff

0 Kudos
Corey_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi geoff4747,

Thanks for your post and for reaching out to the community forums. Sorry to hear that you are having issues setting up your new box. Can you clarify if this was an additional box or is it a swapped/replacement box? The difference being that if this is a replacement box because you were having issues with an older one, then the new box needs to be set up in the same position as the old box it's replacing. It needs to use the COAX connection, the white cable that was plugged into the other box. You cannot move the box to another area of the home where there has never been a box prior since there may not be a coax feed or active connection.

Can you clarify if the TV and the box are in the same room as well as a working cable outlet?

Cheers,

Corey C

geoff4747
Tuning in
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hello Corey c

Thanks for replying

To be honest I really don't know why we got sent the box, as I presumed it was a problem with the modem, and not being very tech savvy thought they sent us the box to just connect upstairs via WIFI with the router downstairs, so we could watch upstairs. 

On the date our contract was originally due to expire, we lost Netflix and Youtube on our upstairs Smart tv, other apps still work. We checked and noticed they had also disappeared from our main Smart tv downstairs, they are different brands with one being just over a year old.

Upon checking our Virgin media guide we noticed we could not connect to either Netflix or Youtube via the apps or the channel numbers on the guide.

After spending five hours online with Virgin, trying to sort the issue, I sort of lost the will to live, and just accepted the offer of a new Tivo box, the bigger one of the two.

We did get Netflix and Youtube back on Virgin, but at first the sound was extremely crackly and very delayed so it was unwatchable, but is okay now. 

We still cannot connect to either of the apps on our Smart tv's

Thanks for replying

Geoff

0 Kudos
Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Geoff, 

I'm glad to hear you're now able to use the apps via our TV service, 

In regards to the apps on your Smart TV, is the TV set connected to your WiFi connection?

Alex_Rm

0 Kudos
geoff4747
Tuning in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hello Alex _RM

Thank you for replying

Yes I can confirm that both tv's are connected to our WIFI as we can connect to Facebook, BBCI-player and the internet etc.

Geoff

0 Kudos
Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

That's great to hear Geoff, glad that you have got WiFi connection again.

Are you wishing to keep the new box that the team have sent out to you.

Regards

Steven_L

0 Kudos