cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coax Cable Type for running virgin through the house - CAI approved RG6??

CS1888
Tuning in

I’ve recently had a new extension built and had the electricians run Coax cable to 2 wall points in the new extension for future TV use.  I’ve looked at renewing my Virgin Subscription for the Ultra package which comes with a second box and wondering if the cabling that has nice and neatly been put in the walls and under the floor will suffice.  I had them bring the new cabling up through the floor where the existing virgin media cable comes into the house and leave it with no ends on it just now until I decide what to do.

Have identified it as Deta Electrical 532BK RG6 Satellite Cable

http://www.detaelectrical.co.uk/images/Deta_Trade_2018-2019/Cable_.pdf

Before I look to get a second virgin box is this going to be something the engineer can work with or would they need to lay their own cable and end up drilling holes to bring cable up through the floor.  I’m loathed to do this given we’ve just completed the extension and may just opt to run a traditional TV aerial for the new extension.

Any guidance would be much appreciated...

7 REPLIES 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
VM will not use the cable.
They will only use there own cables that they installed

Gaz82
On our wavelength

You might be ok as it's been installed by an electrician / professional contractor.

As per Virgin Media's own "New Development Team" they allow builders to pre-wire houses with RG6 or RG59 for their use.

https://www.virginmedia.com/content/dam/virginmedia/dotcom/images/shop/downloads/New-Build-Handbook-...

Anonymous
Not applicable
you won't it's the right shielded cable. They will not use satellite cable

Gaz82
On our wavelength

There is no such thing as "Satellite Cable" it's just a marketing term.

The OP said the cable fitted is RG6 which is what Virgin Media recommend builders to use, it's in the PDF that I linked from their website.

Z92
Trouble shooter

Virgin typically provide materials free of charge to builders so that they don't use the cheapest cable they can get their hands on. You can try but don't be surprised if they refuse to use it and want to nail new cable to your skirting boards. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
"There is no such thing as "Satellite Cable" it's just a marketing term."
there is also no such thing as VM cable. YOu can't buy the cable VM use its made for them

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

As said above, Virgin will want to install their own cable.  Perhaps they could use the cable you have installed to pull their own through? 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.