cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancelled - recovering outside kit

mork23
Tuning in

Hi,

Apparently I'm only being sent a box to return my router. No one seems to be able to tell me what is happening with the other device on the outside of my house (i.e. Fibre to the home  - not actually me, btw... scroll down to 'External wall box').

What happens with this please? I'm intending to remove it on day of service cease but further guidance is appreciated.

Thanks in advance

6 REPLIES 6

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

you will get all sorts of mixed messages from VM - the last one i read was that external wiring should not be removed as it may impact on the network - it may but thats not your problem

wait here for VM to add something - it may be helpful it may not - its likely to say they will contact the area field manager which is all staff can do - from there you may get a tech to remove the external box but you are more likely to hear nothing as the AFM will ignore the request

so ultimately its up to you to decide what to do after a reasonable time frame

snips and a skip are the usual answer - no voltage in the cable so no problem

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Thanks - also read that elsewhere.

My main aim is to flag it before I get hit with the 'you haven't returned kit - you'll be charged x amount' etc etc

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

The returns charge only applies to in home, portable kit such as a TV box, a hub, or VM pods or boosters.  VM's preference is for wiring and wall boxes to be left in place in case you (or a future occupier) decide to contract with VM in future, but there's no legal right to leave wiring and boxes on your property.

In terms of "affecting the network", anything you do shouldn't affect the network as when you leave, your VM cable will have been unplugged at the cabinet specifically to avoid noise ingress (as well as to prevent a largely theoretical fraud risk). 

Hi Mork23,

Thanks for your post about returning your kit, including the external box on your property. 

I understand you don't want late-return charges biting you in a month which is a fair thing to think about. 

However, you don't need to return the external box (brown Omni box) that is fitted to your external wall, we would actually really prefer to keep this in place so that the next occupier, who may want our services, can get installed without any installation issues. 

So just to reiterate, you don't need to send the Omni box back to us. 

Thanks,

Megan_L

Thanks for confirming, Megan.

In which case I will be removing it but will retain it should it be required again. It's located right on my front doorstep (wasn't by choice!) so often susceptible to a shopping bag or boot knock. 

Hi mork23, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this. 

It will more than likely be better in terms of aesthetic to leave the box where it is. The reason for this is because there will be exposed wires inside there. Removing the box won't remove the wires and whilst there is no current going through them so pose no risk health and safety wise, it can make things look untidy. 

Ultimately it is your decision but we wouldn't come out to remove the box or the cables. 

Many thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs