cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I remove a disused brown virgin box and black external cable myself from outside of my housee.

Drumhorc
Joining in

I left Virgin some years ago but I have a black cable pinned to the outside of the house from a brown box on the external wall. I want to remove this. Is it live? Can I do it myself or do I need Virgin to do the work. I will never go back to Virgin.

14 REPLIES 14

@Adri_G wrote:

PS: We would not suggest under any circumstances to do this yourself and rather advise to leave it to the experts who can safely do it for you if necessary.

BINGO! And there is the BS virgin responce. To be clear, the correct way to remove a drop cable would be to pull the entire cable out from the customers house all the way back to the cab. A 1 man virgin tech doesnt have the time or the correct equipment to do this, which is why the pre install teams are 2 man crewed. All a virgin tech will do is cut it somewhere and be done with it.....the same as you could do with some cutters in about 2 minutes. 

The correct answer from the VM bod would have been something like:  "We are treating your post in this thread as a request for Virgin Media to remove redundant equipment and cables from your property and have made the appropriate service request to our engineering team.  Should you or a successor householder ever wish to use our services, the drop point to which cable runs from the street cabinet to just outside your property will remain in place,.  Thank you for bring this to our attention.".

LOL.  

More seriously, the cables and brown box are "abandoned goods".  I suggest that you provide a further post in this thread giving VM 30 days' notice (as they don't do emails!) to collect their property otherwise you will remove it yourself and dispose of same.  On a duty of care basis, you should include in your post a request that they should provide you with guidance on how to remove the items without adversely affecting their network, stating also that if no such guidance is provided within the 30 days, you will reasonably assume that there is no particular care that needs to be taken.

You might care to check my advice with your friendly solicitor!

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

Akua_A
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thank you for letting us know @Drumhorc.

Are you able to send an image of these cables so we can best understand and help?

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thanks for your help.

I have tidied up the cable where it was sagging and it looks fine now. It just seemed easier.

Thanks

Hi Drumhorc, 

Thanks for coming back to us here in the Community and confirming things are looking better now. 

If you would like us to take a look t this again in future, pop back here and let us know. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs