cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband only service from Virgin Media

XEyedBear
On our wavelength

I'm sure this question is answered here somewhere, but I can't formulate an effective search query (I get either 'all' or 'nothing').

I want to change my package so that I no longer get TV channels, or my current land-line phone service. I need only a broadband internet connection and that only up to about 75 Mbps. But what is more important to me than raw download speed is the quality, functionality and security of the modem/router.

Is there such a service from VM and if so what modem/router is provided? Or do I need to purchase my own router and use the existing Hub 3.0 (which is of minimally acceptable security and functionality) ?as a modem

5 REPLIES 5

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@XEyedBear wrote:

I'm sure this question is answered here somewhere, but I can't formulate an effective search query (I get either 'all' or 'nothing').

<snip>

You can get broadband only from VM but, if you are an existing customer with a bundle package, VM will make it very hard for you to get what you want. They will do this either by telling you that you can't have it or by simply pricing the broadband only option far more expensively than a package price inc. other services.

If you stick with VM on BB only, you still have to use the VM hub but you can put the hub into modem mode and use your own networking equipment.

If you want to become a BB only user with a speed up to 75 Mbps, then cast your net wider and search out all alternative options to VM for BB only. With another provider you will get new customer pricing.

Finding out prices from other providers will also help benchmark any renewal offer that VM come up with.

Client62
Hero

M125 (132/20) is the entry point broadband service.

Sounds like the decision is already made to use the Hub3 in modem mode and to install a 3rd party router

https://www.virginmedia.com/broadband/broadband-only

How about Openreach providers.

XEyedBear
On our wavelength

I much appreciate your comments - very useful advice. What I have fund so far by looking elsewhere - especially through the 'compare' services offered on the web. The initial or 'front of shop' offering rapidly turns into something that is actually only half of the offered speed - and often down to a guaranteed only 11 Mbps, since the best on physical media on offer (outside VM) is FTTC, with the last 150 metres or so (in my case) being ancient copper. At the same time, the actual cost is up to 50% higher than that being advertised - they don't initially tell you that the router has to be hired and there is a one-time charge equivalent to at  least another month's service charge. Then you find that the router being offered is one of those which has been resoundingly 'panned' by some reviewer in the last year or so. I found only one service provider (completely unknown name to me before I started, which is slightly worrying) who offered a reasonable router (TPLink Archer VR400), but could guarantee nothing better than a 27 Mbps service. (For a major conurbation that's pathetic: by comparison, friends of mine, in rural China, have had a 100 Mbps service since 2018!).

Have you got some other companies I might examine?

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@XEyedBear wrote:

<snip>

Have you got some other companies I might examine?

If you live in a major conurbation, investigate some of the AltNet providers (some names are mentioned at the end of para 2 below)

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2022/06/alternative-full-fibre-isps-cover-5-46-million-uk-prem...

and also consider mobile options on 5G if it is available.

For further suggestions on re-negotiating with VM, try the useful advice from Andrew-G at message #5 below

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Managing-Your-Account-Cable/Why-oh-why-does-loyalty-get-punishe...

Hi XEyedBear 👋 welcome back to the community! Thank you for posting. 

Sorry to hear of these difficulties getting support on your Virgin Media broadband only package options. Sadly we are a little limited to support with these kinds of queries via the forum as we do not generally process package changes. (These are best done in real time and the community is not an instant response service.) It would certainly be possible to downgrade your service to broadband only, and whilst we cannot offer suggestions of 3rd party networking equipment or alternative provider offerings you are certainly welcome to explore these yourself! Thanks to the community for offering their advice and support. 

If you would like to speak to the team to discuss available package change options from your current price, please do get in touch! You can speak to us via 📞 0345 454 1111 or 150 from a VM landline. Text us 📲 on +44753 305 1809, and WhatsApp us on +447305 327 112. Please let us know how you get on! We can then try to offer further support if needed. 

Hopefully we are able to find a deal that suits your preferences! Thanks for your patience in the meantime. 

Wishing you all the best 🌞

Molly