Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Broadband Dropouts

Hi,

Whilst we have a good virgin broadband service generally, we do find we experience the occasional drop out, possibly once or twice a week.

During the lockdown, I’ve had the time to really look at my home network setup, so I’ve replaced switches, re-done cabling etc etc - it’s pretty much bomb proof now, and with 3 Google WiFi points, coverage is great.  I never now fact see pings dropping out on my LAN.

However, we still get the dropouts, which as always are fixed by restarting the virgin router.

Does anyone else have this happen?  My router is fairly old (I would say we’ve had it for six or seven years at least)

I don’t think it’s related to load - we have 200mb (and to be honest don’t know why anyone needs more) and other than the occasional download, even with Conf calls and two kids battering Netflix, we barely go above 30mb use.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Broadband Dropouts

Hello, if you can send me a private message with your account number and are code/postcode and i will look into this for you

To send a PRIVATE MESSAGE please hold over my name until the option send message pops up.

Zoe

If I've helped in any way, please give me Kudos and mark my response as a helpful answer!

Fancy £50 off your bill? Ask me how and you might just get it!

I am a serving Field Technician at Virgin however all responses on here are based on my experiences in the field alone and my own equipment at home and should be taken as such

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Broadband Dropouts

It sounds like you have a great set up, bur not sure about Google kit. Have a look at the new mesh wifi systems that have come out. They are quite expensive but are amazing. If you can get into your hub with address and code on the bottom of hub you can check your upstream and downstream.

Levels should be

Upstream: 34 to 51

Downstream: -6 to +10

If to high or to low, this will cause the internet to cut out

Hope this helps

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos