cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brand new hub 4 broken already??

stevejnr1983
Joining in

Hi all

I upgrade my VM account and went from an old hub V2 to a new hub V4, I set it all up as soon as it arrived on Wednesday this week, all seemed fine Wednesday night until lunch time on Thursday.  The internet dropped out and it took several pin hole resets and reboots of the hub for it to come back to live.  Everything fine although only getting 200mbps instead of gigabit and high loaded latency.  Woke up this morning with no internet, after nearly two hours of trying to get it to work I called support and to be honest they didn't know what they were talking about, the final step was to check whether the lights on the lan ports came on when plugging a cable in but there are no physical indicator lights on the lan ports.  The operator then said the router was fault and they will send out another one.

If I run the network diagnostics I get a warning triangle next to the broadband.  If I run the diagnostic tools on their website it says everything is fine:

"We can’t find any faults with the connection coming into your home, so we’ve got some tips for you to try."

There was nothing to say I needed to activate the hub.

I have also tried putting the hub into modem mode and running a Ubiquiti router, that gets a WAN address but I still have no internet connectivity. 

Any one have any ideas or is support right and the hub is naf?  (doesn't feel me with much confidence if it is)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi

Thanks for the reply, this didn't solve the problem the hub wouldn't reboot in the end and had to wait for a replacement to be sent which has solved the problem.

The tips on setting up the uqiquiti router is definitely very helpful and will be following them when I get around to setting that up

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Try connecting the excellent, Ubiquiti equipment up again using this specific sequence

Switch on and set up your own router/Mesh unit (in its settings) with the WAN port set to be in Automatic IP i.e. DHCP (& Nat) mode, it may be pre-set that way anyway. Then, disconnect all cables from your new router (or Mesh units) and switch them off and unplug them.

Then, put the VM Hub into modem mode ( https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ) and wait for the base light to turn magenta/purple (on a Hub3 - but not on a Hub4!).

Once it’s in modem mode, the VM hub “MUST” then be powered off.   Now...switch your router on and make sure it’s fully initialised (leave 5 min) and then put in the ethernet cable from its WAN port to the VM hub (any port will do).

NOW… power up the VM hub and wait 5-10 minutes for The Hub to initialise and and you should get a connection. Use the recommended App to connect any other Mesh units to the first one. This order only needs to be done the first time you connect the router to the VM hub.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

carl_pearce
Community elder

Unlikely to be brand new with it being rented kit, so only just receiving it doesn't mean 'new'.

Hi

Thanks for the reply, this didn't solve the problem the hub wouldn't reboot in the end and had to wait for a replacement to be sent which has solved the problem.

The tips on setting up the uqiquiti router is definitely very helpful and will be following them when I get around to setting that up

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @stevejnr1983,

Welcome back to our Community Forums! Thank you for your post and I'm very sorry to hear that you've had some issues with your Hub 4! 

I'm glad to hear that you were able to have a replacement arranged and that your new Hub 4 is working as it should. 

Please keep an eye on your equipment and let us know if you need any more help or assistance in regards to this. We're happy to help.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @stevejnr1983,

Welcome back to our Community Forums! Thank you for your post and I'm very sorry to hear that you've had some issues with your Hub 4! 

I'm glad to hear that you were able to have a replacement arranged and that your new Hub 4 is working as it should. 

Please keep an eye on your equipment and let us know if you need any more help or assistance in regards to this. We're happy to help.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs