cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

100mb advice

spurdog11
On our wavelength

Signed up 4 weeks ago, requesting "prior visit" to pick best reception, cable minimality (refused-all will be sorted on the day).

After 3 weeks and a few outages I checked my speed, 25-40MB, rarely anything more. reading up it said don't put it near TV/aerial (guess what, its installed there-by a prev house owner). This should be a doddle.

After calling engineer out on a weakened signal, the plugs were replaced in the road (Unrelated?).

Spoke to engineer, there does seem minimal improvement, but where is the 100MB?

One other option to resite, but could create another problem, so highly reluctant to do that. Also don't want cables over the house. Am i alone on this (as a newbie). was stuck on the phone last week for nearly two hours, doing nothing whilst he played his end. Have seen 40MB once.

Any suggestions, i would want their help with an engineer, i am not one. I am confident its their error.

15 REPLIES 15

Z92
Trouble shooter

You need to connect your laptop directly to the hub, no power extenders, range extenders, etc, just one piece of ethernet cable connected to both the hub and your laptop. Disable WiFi on your laptop if you can.

spurdog11
On our wavelength

Ok, thanks all for your help.

Once i recorded 110MB on the router, thefault had to be beyond the router. Therefore I checked with 150, they have their own power booster "Which apparently works for Rachel"...£5.00 extra per month. I give this info to help others on this forum, in future.

Thanks so much

Quick one. Do these boosters need to sit next to the router. can they sit across the room, without ethernet?

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

i assume you are talking about pod/s - £5 a month - you get one to start with and site it between the hub and your blackspot - they are not power boosters or whatever - they are a mesh system to cover black spots - thats £5 a month for ever - you are better to buy your own gear and use that

but why do you or more importantly CS [offshore] think a pod will solve your problem - they dont increase the speed - more the other way round - they are for covering wifi dead spots

reading the thread you have not really gone through any diagnosis other than speed test after speed test to prove you have poor speeds

so with a laptop connected to the hub with a cat5e cable or better what speed do you get - if you are not seeing 100 there then you cannot improve that with a booster or anything else

prove the input speed then look at wifi and blackspots

if you do not get 100 as i ask above then do the test again with the hub in modem mode and the laptop in safe mode with networking and post some info as asked above

log into hub3 - 192.168.0.1 [or 192.168.100.1 if in modem mode] - DON'T SIGN IN, click - click router status [centre of screen] - and post the downstream and upstream figures - to see those press on the grey buttons/boxes labelled - upstream - downstream

if its an earlier hub button is top right

forget the suspect solutions from CS [offshore] generally they have little idea

Tony.
Sacked VIP

spurdog11
On our wavelength
Hi Tony
Yes I am referring those pods at £5.00 per month. Yes I have done all speed tests, including the one you refer (Direct at the router). This is how I discovered the 110MB (Hooray).
I already have the BT plugin booster, however they seemed ineffective compared to this booster. I don't mind the extra fiver, if it gives me 110MB (which as I say "is what I am now receiving"). Not to worry about the final question.

Hi spurdog11,

Thanks for coming back to us and for the update, glad to hear you are now receiving your expected speeds and that the new WIFI pod you have is working.

Regarding the placing of the Pods I have mine in different areas and not next to the Router and they work really well.

If you need any further help or have any Questions at all, please let us know.

Regards

Paul.