Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

wifi issues

Hi all i was using home plugs they were working fine downstairs but would drop off upstairs i replaced these with DECO TP LINK wifi units a few days ago  my son was playing xbox last night and they continually drop connection tried virgin wifi and had the same problem,  does anyone have a better solution.  Many thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: wifi issues

just to add the xbox is in the next room to the modem. thanks again
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

My lad who believes wifi is the work of the devil, uses a pair of (Solwise) powerline adapters which have 2 ethernet ports. One wired to the router and the one in his bedroom is connected by short Cat6 cables to his gaming PC and consoles - all works flawlessly. I would get those types instead of relying on wifi.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

hi  thanks for the reply    the problem i have is that the modem is in the dining room but i also need to get to 2 tv's upstairs and my wife hates to see cables.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Use 3 powerline adapters then

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

are powerline adaptors the same as homeplugs ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I think "homeplugs" is a proprietary term compare them to these

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/the-best-powerline-adaptors
https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/network-wifi/best-powerline-adapters-3490638/

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

prior to going completely wireless i was using tp link homeplugs downstairs with little to no problems atall however upstairs was a different story and i read somewhere that if your electrical wiring is on different ring's ie 1 ring upstairs and another downstairs you will have problems, which i imagine is the problem i have.  thanks again for the advice.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

That is indeed true, powerline can be problematic across different rings.

You could try a meshed WiFi system similar to the BT WholeHome WiFi. I’d suggest if you want to give them a go, to purchase from a supplier who has a no-quibble return policy just in case. WiFi can be a bit hit and miss as well at the best of times.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

hi  i purchased TP link mesh from amazon and on the day i put them in i had the problem i haven't had the problem since (roughly 4days)  so i am now wondering  whether there was a problem with virgin that evening i will just have to wait and see.  

0 Kudos