cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unknown devices on my network

TheFelange
Tuning in

Ok bit of a strange one...

I have a Hub 4 and i keep getting notifications that there is suspicious activity on my WiFi. I've changed the password for the network from default twice and its still happening. The strange bit comes in when I look at connected devices there are wired devices that I just dont own.all the devicesall the devicesThe TiVo I do own and it is wired t my Hub 4, the only other device that is wired is my PS4.

The other strange thing is that I get alerts on my S10 that devices are casting on my network...but they arent because i dont own them. After a bit of sleuthing on my s10 in the Google home app i found the peoples names that are using the google home devices and they live nowhere near me. Screenshot_20200930-231219.jpgInkedScreenshot_20201014-035949_Home_LI.jpg

Any ideas on how to fix this issue because im stumped, ive changed paswords etc and its still happening after password changes. It usually only happens later on at night but it sometimes happens during the day too and when it does our internet gets really really slow.

Thanks in advance 

TheFelange

26 REPLIES 26

MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta

Go into the Hub settings and use the Mac filter to stop them joining.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.

Hi, i get that by changing the MAC settings it will stop people joining the network but how can they show wired devices on my hub if they arent in my house? Or close enough to get a Wifi signal. Its not just somoene unwanted is on my network.

What is telling you there is suspicious activity?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

I don't know to be honest.

What are you more worried about, the fact that they are on your network or the how they got to join the network ?

Just stop all the ones that you don't recognise and see if anyone in the household complains.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.

i get and alert on my S10 that pops up

Thanks for replying. its not just that random people are on my network, i'd like to know how and why they are there. I dont understand how my HUB 4 can say that it has that many devices wired to it when it physically isnt possible. It also really slows down my connection which is a pain tbh.

Not all devices will say what they are so its likely fine.

---------------------------------------------------------------

I know that some devices show up as unknown. the issue is i literally only have 2 devices wired to my HUB 4 the TiVo box and my ps4 so TiVo is on the list and one of the unknowns is my PS4. ALL the other devices wether named or not arent mine i dont even own them. They belong to whomever is on my network but my HUB is showing that they are wired to my HUB which is impossible. Sorry like i said its a strange one.

Have you done a physical check to confirm that the only two cables coming out of your hub are the two you are expecting - the TiVo and the PS4?

If there was a switch, or an access point hanging off the hub as well then it would report anything connected to that as a wired connection, as it’d see all of the devices over that physical port..