Menu
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 21 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Re: poor wifi - twitter referral

@fishonpar wrote:

exactly that - "can't connect to home. The modem is reporting an error."

There’s many ways to fix that. Google has the answers. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
fishonpar
Tuning in
Message 22 of 33
Flag for a moderator

the biggest issue we have with the wifi is not so much the signal strength but the continuity, it drops out so often. whilst we're watching videos on you tube for example, but really frustratingly it happens whilst on calls with work and it's not great to keep dropping from meetings then having to apologise continually for the duration of the meeting as i get thrown out every few minutes,

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 23 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Again, connect with a wired connection instead if you need stability.

Wifi isn’t a stable means of connectivity especially from a £30 hub. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Corey_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 24 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately I have not been able to identify any issues with the Hub. If it is only occurring with WiFi, there may be several factors that can impact wifi signals such as, where the hub is located, objects surrounding the hub, wall density, reflective surfaces, radio interference from other electrical devices and others. These things will not be picked up by diagnostics, only that the hub is working and configured properly. In some instances, a booster may be needed based on these factors, and you're welcome to check here for more details:  https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/intelligent-wifi

0 Kudos
fishonpar
Tuning in
Message 25 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Hi Corey. This is exactly the point. Wifi is ok, we Need two boosters as diagnosed and recommended by the engineer who came to the house almost two months ago, and the very reason I’ve posted in this forum as directed to do by the VM Twitter responder. 

We’re going around in a circle here and back to square one. How can I order the boosters?

Thanks 

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 26 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Are you on the Ultimate Oomph or Gig1 bundle?

0 Kudos
fishonpar
Tuning in
Message 27 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Ultimate Oomph
0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 28 of 33
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@fishonparReading this thread makes me very despondent, you've been hammering at this for what, seven weeks now, and you're getting nowhere with VM.  Thanks to VM's mendacious advertising about "best ever wif", "intelligent wifi" and "intelligent wifi plus", "free pods" and the like, many customers join and then find the actual performance of VM's wifi disappointing, and then they encounter the company's legendary customer service, along with very unconvincing answers from about "devices too close to the hub".  A few trials I've done have shown no effect on wifi performance even with devices resting on top of the router or resting against it, but maybe VM know something I don't.

If you are confident that the problem is only wireless reliability and range, and you want this sorted, then you really need to accept that VM's claims for wifi are over-promise, that they are being as stingy as possible in handing out the promised pods, and that the only certain solution is to invest your own money in a competent mesh wifi system, which will cost you around £130.  Put your hub in modem mode, connect the mesh system as per instructions, and forget about VM's "intelligent wifi" forever.  A three unit TP-Link Deco M4 or S4 system is a good starting point, I have the M4 myself, but there's many other makes and choices if you prefer, and for the well heeled, plenty of opportunities to throw many hundreds of pounds at top end wifi systems.

If VM's claims about wifi were material to you joining or staying with the company, then you could raise a formal complaint with VM about the poor wifi, and the poor customer service, and ask for a credit against your account of (say) two months charges to contribute towards the cost of a mesh wireless system.  That will almost certainly be rejected, at which point you could escalate to the industry arbitration scheme CISAS, who won't charge you anything, but will review your case and see if compensation for either poor wifi or poor customer service is deserved.  That will be very slow, but it's an option AFTER you've got the wireless sorted.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
fishonpar
Tuning in
Message 29 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Hi Andrew,

thanks for your comments. oddly enough after realising VM couldn't give a damn about me or any of its customers i'd already ordered the very same product from Currys this morning and will be installing it this evening. galling having to pay £130 for something VM have told me should come as part of my package but the amount of grief i'm getting from people at home who can't do anything as i've removed their devices from the internet to give me a fighting chance of holding a video call with work, quite frankly is worth it. i hope it solves our issues, and thanks again.

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 30 of 33
Flag for a moderator

A pleasure to assist, though sounds like you had it all in hand anyway. 

As a general rule, it is best to configure a mesh system with the hub running as is, then change the hub to modem mode, turn off the hub and the mesh, unplug any network cables, and then restart the hub, when that comes back on line in about 7 minutes, then plug in the mesh system.  Sounds a fiddle, but there's reasons for doing it that way, happy to explain if needed.  Some thoughts of mine below:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Hub-3-0-compatibility-with-Mesh-systems/m-p...

After I'd written this the need did arise to add an ethernet switch, that was as simple as plugging it in, no configuration needed.

Of course, if the problem were a poor cable connection, then you'll find the coverage of wifi improved with a mesh system, but video call dropouts will persist.  If there's any continuing problem then report back here, plenty of people here willing to help.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks