Menu
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

no internet

can someone from vm please help. every night I lose internet connection. 

both wired and wireless. 

apparently my expensive subscription to vm doesn't include wifi which is what I ordered and expected.  could you advise how I use extra tivo boxes and my mobile phone if I can't get working wifi? 

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: no internet

Extra Tivo boxes will always work better when connected by ethernet cables - and it really isn't that difficult to sort all you need is a talent for concealing cables.
And yes - you can connect most mobile phones by ethernet too - adapters for most phones are avaialble (I have the Apple lightning to ethernet one!). However its not really practical I agree 🙂

What Hub model do you have - there are some tweaks you can apply to improve wifi?

The "best" solution is... assuming your wired connections are all ok (are they?)... then getting your own wireless equipment will solve all the wifi issues permanently, and will be transferable to other BB suppliers kit should you move supplier.

Either.....

1) Mesh System
2) Wireless router
3) Wireless access points
4) A combination of the above
Depending on your requirements, house layout/construction and of course, budget. £40 will get a decent introductory wireless router and up to £400 will get the Rolls Royce solution of a high-end Router & WAP's or top end Mesh system. You'll want something suitable within that range.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

thank you for info. looks like I may have to invest in router. assuming this is an easier solution than cabling everywhere? also if I have 3 tivo boxes do I require a router for each? does a router help with mobile phone wifi because I'm just not wiring our phones up?! 

my issue at moment however is 'connected no internet' and appears to affect both wired & wireless. not sure a router would help. 

my hub3 works adequately mostly, not remotely close to the 300mg bb but ok. 

I'll come back when I've sourced a router and googled how to use it! 

thanks again

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

ok.... too many routers to choose! 

any advice welcome

I've 3 tivo boxes, samsung tvs, samsung mobile s10, moto 7 phone. ipad tab & samsung tab. 300mb bb sh3. full package inc sports & movies.  prime & netflix.

thank you

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hang on first! You said in message 1 that both wired and wifi connections were being lost. We need to look at that a bit more. If that is indeed true it is more likely to be a Hub/Cabling issue that VM needs to fix.

My original reply was not as clear as it should have been - I meant for you to test the wired connections first using an adapter if necessary before deciding to go with your own kit. Although it will sort any wifi issues - but not any underlying connections issues (hope that's clear?).

So what wired devices are dropping their connections? Do they drop off at the same time as the wireless ones? have you tried replacing their ethernet cables to new Cat5e/6 ones ?

You could also post up the Hub stats from the "router status" icon get the downstream, upstream and network logs data and post it here (I can give a "how to" if you need it).

To look at that in more detail, you can also set up a free “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

connected no internet yet again. nothing is working. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Have you checked for “known network faults”?

As well as trying the “check service,” Area status webpage" (link at top right of this forum), there is also a Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually tells you of more local issues down to postcode level (that may not be listed on the Area Status web page which usually covers 1000’s of customers) - that may give you more info, but even that wont cover problems affecting just a few customers.

If nothing shows on there, try calling it in as a fault (on 150 VM line - or 0345 454 1111 others) and see what they say when they test your connection and if possible, get a fault reference number – the UK call center is still picking up.

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos