Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

new router

Hi. I want to add a new router to get better wifi. ( not happy with hub3) I understand that I need to switch the hub 3 to modem mode and connect to the new router via ethernet cable. Once connected can I still access the hub 3 settings via wifi? also which router is best for wifi security cameras. Thanks.😁

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: new router

Hello

When the hub is in router mode you can still access the settings of the hub although nothing is enabled, as it just act like a passthrough to your router.

Recommended router will all depend on what your budget is a D-Link DIR-882 good value and has everything that would ever be needed to future proof.

Regards Mike

If my answer was helpful to you please mark you post as helpful answer and consider leaving kudos.
I dont work for VirginMedia all opinions are my own.
39 years in IT.
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks for the reply. Do you access the hub via the new wifi setup? and does it have a new ip address. 😋

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Highlighted
Trouble shooter
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hello

When in router mode you use http://192.168.100.1.

Regards Mike

If my answer was helpful to you please mark you post as helpful answer and consider leaving kudos.
39 years in IT.
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Cheers. Are the Lan ports on the hub still active? My cable tv box is plugged in plus a network printer. Would i need to move these to the new router?

Martin.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trouble shooter
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hello

When the hub is in modem only mode only 1 LAN port will work. Yes will need to be plugged into new router.

Mike

39 years in IT.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Legend
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

The VM hub in router mode provides WiFi on 2 bands and 4 Ethernet ports. When the VM hub is in modem mode all your get is a modem, one Ethernet port that you then connect to your own router (the other 3 Ethernet ports are inoperative). If it’s a ‘standard’ retail type router, then it will provide the 2 WiFi bands and also the 4 Ethernet ports. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Rising star
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If you need / want better wifi there are few options

1. get a new router and hope it covers the house better than the Hub.  It almost certainly will, but if your house is large or has thick solid walls it may still not cover the whole house.  I have an Asus AC86U and recommend it (high spec CPU, smart connect and 4*4 MU MIMO on 5ghz).  You may be able to put the router in a better position by running a longer cable from the Hub  to the router which is best high up and in the middle of the house but depends what else you need plugged into it
  2. get a mesh system like a netgear orbi.  This places several wifi units around the house.  However they're not all equal and cheaper ones won't have dedicated "backhaul" i.e. separate wifi chips for the mesh units to talk to each other.  Most of them can be connected via cable but that can constrain placement e.g. you need both power and lan cable where you want to put them
  3. or go with a prosumer setup like ubiquiti devices - typically you'd have a wired only router, with a number of wifi access points.  These need network cable but the cable does power them so typically the wifi access points will be wall or ceiling mounted

1 or 2 are simplest 

If going option 1 and you think you might need more wifi coverage at some point then recent Asus models have the ability to configure multiple routers into a mesh.  Connection can be wired or wireless but as they have no dedicated backhaul circuit wired is best.  I now have 3 of them in a mesh as cover wasn't great in the conservatory /  garden and in a converted garage

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the help. Could i disable both wifi signals in the hub3 and keep the devices I have connected via Lan and use a new router which would only require a longer ethernet cable for that? People say i must put the router into modem mode first. If my idea should work how would i connect to the hub3 settings after switching off both wifi signals.
0 Kudos