Menu
Kirky1972
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

intermittent wifi on just one device

Hi,

Wifi connection on my laptop keeps dropping off, yet perfectly fine on other devices. App says I have 10 connected devices currently connected. Is this a settings issue? Or do I need the bigger 200MB package? I read somewhere that some devices operate on different frequencies and it may be something to do with router settings?

Many thanks

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: intermittent wifi on just one device

What laptop make, model, age is it? What does it say about its wifi network card in the settings. Does it see" your Network SSID ok? Does it drop off if you are close to the Hub or only as you move further away?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Kirky1972
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

sorry for the late reply.

it's a Lenovo Thinkpad, 16 months old. sees the Network SSID ok. Drops off even when I'm next to the router.

Engineer visited today and said the standard Virgin routers are pretty garbage. Suggested I buy an independent one and use hub3 as a modem. Thing is, I dont know what router to buy, there are thousands...

0 Kudos
Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kirky1972,

I'm sorry to hear you've been having some connectivity issues with your laptop. It is strange how it only seems to affect this device and none of the others that are connected.

Was this an engineer visit arranged by ourselves? Was the engineer unable to make any adjustments to help the issue? It may be worth splitting both your 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz wireless frequency bands to see if that helps things. Details on how to do this can be found here. To access your hub's settings, you'll need to type in 192.168.0.1 into your web browser URL and then enter in your hub's admin password. The admin password can be found on the sticker on the bottom of the hub.

Let us know how that goes 🙂

Beth

0 Kudos