cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless blackspots

cliffordhull
Joining in

Hi I have a 350mb broadband line with VM Hub3 downstairs and when i take my laptop into the same room as it i near on get the 350.  However when upstairs its more like 80mbs.  So I've tried a TP-Link AC750 Extender and get slightly better with 120mb.  I also connected a 30m cat7 cable from downstairs to an old Hub2 upstairs, setting it up with a static ip and turning off DHCP and setting a different ssid and can get 200mb, even in the same room which is odd.  Being a cheap skate that I am would using another Hub3 upstairs plugged via cat7 to the downstairs router give better than 200 or do you think its likely to be the same...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Forget the Hubs and their "poundshop" wifi - just get a decent wireless access point and stick it on the end of the cable - will get max speeds and the job's done

One like this..... with extra GB ethernet ports too - a bargain at less than £30

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-Wireless-Access-Business-WAC104-100UKS/dp/B01LWUJU8H/

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Forget the Hubs and their "poundshop" wifi - just get a decent wireless access point and stick it on the end of the cable - will get max speeds and the job's done

One like this..... with extra GB ethernet ports too - a bargain at less than £30

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-Wireless-Access-Business-WAC104-100UKS/dp/B01LWUJU8H/

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Would your recommend this for someone who lacks speed and signal anywhere past 3 metres of the router virgin provide? Would I literally plug ethernet from Virgin router to this, then bobs your uncle? Stronger signal and speed to all WiFI devices or not as plain sailing as that? Or much config involved after plugging in?

Thanks thats very helpful.  Have you heard much about the mesh systems do you think they are any good?

I think if i was to get an access point then it may be even better to set the hub3 in modem mode and still a good wifi router on that and get the same upstairs.  I notice the hub's dont have router/ap or bridging modes, so if i was to get two new routers one as the router/dhcp and the in ap/bridging need to find a decent rig.  I agree the hub3 dont offer decent wifi range as downstairs a room away from the main router the wifi signal is pretty damn crapola.  Or would you say mesh.  Cheers

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@cliffordhull wrote:

Thanks thats very helpful.  Have you heard much about the mesh systems do you think they are any good?

Yes... Mesh systems are  good solution for most customers.  Three of my friends have the TP-Link Deco M5 3-pack and all think its the best thing they ever bought.  The cheaper M4/S4 system is also well regarded by users on here.

@cliffordhull wrote:

I think if i was to get an access point then it may be even better to set the hub3 in modem mode and still a good wifi router on that and get the same upstairs.  I notice the hub's dont have router/ap or bridging modes, so if i was to get two new routers one as the router/dhcp and the in ap/bridging need to find a decent rig.  I agree the hub3 dont offer decent wifi range as downstairs a room away from the main router the wifi signal is pretty damn crapola.  Or would you say mesh.  Cheers

Not sure I follow that.  But a Mesh is best used with the Hub in modem mode and the first unit is now the (better quality) router.  The other units then carry the wifi to distant parts.    If you just want to get a better wifi router to use downstairs that might actually sort it on its own.  Or, then add WAP's to that as needed.   A second router isnt needed as it cant be used in router mode as well - so you aree paying for tech you cant use.    You can get routers that are "Mesh capable" - see the Asus range and add extra units as needed

--------------------
John
--------------------

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@shaunwwfc wrote:
Would your recommend this for someone who lacks speed and signal anywhere past 3 metres of the router virgin provide? Would I literally plug ethernet from Virgin router to this, then bobs your uncle? Stronger signal and speed to all WiFI devices or not as plain sailing as that? Or much config involved after plugging in?

Yes... its as simple as connecting it on good quality (Cat6a) ethernet cable to the Hub and setting it up as per its instructions.  It will carry perfect wifi to the location where you site it - and additional ethernet ports.  Whether one unit suffices for your property, depends on its size, construction, etc.   If you had a huge rambling property you could need to get several units to serve multiple areas.  The Mesh has an advantage of giving you both a better router and better wifi near the unit - and then additional mesh units can be added to extend the signal around the property.

--------------------
John
--------------------

What i mean is is the hub3 downstair only give me decent wifi in the room its situated why not set the main hub to modem mode then get a decent wifi router to deliver the signal better downstairs but then hard wire another router upstair in ap mode.  I wonder if there are decent routers i can use for downstairs and the same make upstairs as the AP such as the TP-Link AC1750.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Yes that would work - but as I said why buy a second router for upstairs when you cant use its routing functions and they are more expensive - if you want to spend more money get a better or WAP's.

Look at the Asus range they some have good wireless routers that can work as Mesh units.

BTW... TP-Link AC1750 is a tag they use for many of their units - so I couldnt comment on the one you mean

--------------------
John
--------------------

Turned out the hub3 is un-configurable and the SSID is locked, in the end I went for the cheaper option of Wifi 5 in the Tenda Mesh MW-12 range, backhauled two of them with the other Wifi works brilliantly and I get on average 300 mb in each room of the house after locating the modules in a triangular pattern around the house. If anything I could probably do with a couple more modules. The only problem now is that the underlying infrastructure 'Virgin' is a bit unreliable at the moment.